Four-some! Mansfield Town put Oldham Athletic to the sword

Mansfield Town 4 Oldham Athletic 1

By John Lomas
Saturday, 1st May 2021, 4:58 pm
Tyrese Sinclair. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)
Tyrese Sinclair. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)

Mansfield Town ended their home programme on a high with a convincing 4-1 victory over Oldham Athletic this afternoon.

The Latics arrived as the division's top scorers, but were lucky to escape a hiding as Stags created a wealth of chances in a sparkling performance.

There was also a silky full debut for Keaton Ward in midfield.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Tyrese Sinclair and George Lapslie had Stags 2-0 up at the break and firmly in charge.

But a mix-up between Ryan Sweeney and Aidan Stone let Zak Dearnley pull one back early in the second half before Lapslie and Jamie Reid secured the points as Stags rose above Oldham in the table.

Stags made three changes with Reid, Gordon and Ward in to replace Bowery, Rawson and Law.

Sinclair whistled a long range effort well over inside the first 30 seconds.

On four minutes Gordon and Reid worked the ball in from the right to set up Sinclair, who fired wide from 12 yards.

Lapslie then had an even better chance on eight minutes as Reid flicked on a McLaughlin cross and Lapslie, six yards from goal, could find no power as he helped the ball into Walker's arms.

Reid miscued from 12 yards from a Quinn cross soon after as Stags stayed on the front foot.

But the pressure paid off on 12 minutes as Maris won a fine tackle which allowed Reid to thread a precise pass through to Sinclair on the left, and he slotted home a fine low finish under Walker.

Stags had a let-off on 17 minutes as a poor kick from Stone saw Dearnley suddenly in on goal, but his touch let him down and Stone was able to get a leg in the way and redeem himself.

Sinclair was only just over the angle from a Quinn pass on 22 minutes, then Lapslie could get no power on his goalwards touch after Quinn flicked on a 35th minute corner.

The deserved second goal finally arrived on 38 minutes as McLaughlin tricked his way into space on the left of the box and sent in a firm, low cross that Lapslie guided in from close range.

It should have been three soon after as Sinclair found himself onside from a huge punt forward by Sweeney only to lift his finish over keeper and bar.

Reid missed another chance on the turn after being fed by Lapslie on 43 minutes and in added time Reid saw Walker turn over his fierce shot as Oldham reached half-time fortunate to only trail 2-0.

Stags began the second half strongly but then gifted Oldham an embarrassing goal back on 51 minutes.

Sweeney tried to shepherd the ball back to Stone under pressure from Dearnley.

But Stone failed to hold the ball as he dropped on it and Dearnley slotted the loose ball into the net.

Encouraged by the gift, Garrity headed just over from a free kick and sub Bahamboula fired just over as Oldham came into the contest for the first time.

Walker denied Reid for a second time on 72 minutes, blocking his shot after great work by Quinn to set him up.

With 12 minutes to go, Stags were lucky as Clarke planted a free header wide from a corner.

Lapslie finally eased nerves with the third goal on 80 minutes.

A half-cleared corner was pumped back in from the right by Maris and Lapslie was again on hand to help it home from close range at the far post.

Reid added a fourth on 88 minutes, clinically following up after Walker had saved from Clarke.

STAGS: Stone, Gordon (J. Clarke 73), Perch, Sweeney, McLaughlin, Maris (Charles 82), Ward (Bowery 73), Quinn, Lapslie (Charsley 82), Sinclair (Law 82), Reid. SUBS NOT USED: Pardington, Wright.

OLDHAM: Walker, Clarke, Jameson, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson, Adams (Fage 70), Whelan, Garrity, McAleny (Bahamboula 52), Dearnley (Keillor-Dunn 52), Barnes (McCalmont 60). SUBS NOT USED: Bilboe, Badan, Vaughan.

REFEREE: Antony Coggins.

MORE STAGS: New deal for defender – news

MORE STAGS: Lomas on Town’s week – video

MORE STAGS: Boris, Trump… and Clough – news