South Normanton man deprived of sleep by neighbours’ music smashed up fence

A sleep-deprived man driven mad by neighbours’ loud music through the night smashed up their garden fence and gate with a tyre bar, a court heard.

Saturday, 25th June 2022, 6:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 29th June 2022, 8:18 pm

Wayne Clarkson, aged 49, damaged two five-feet panels and ‘completely smashed’ two six-feet gates after ‘something broke within him’, Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court heard.

Clarkson was so lacking in sleep he was forced to close his van-driving business, the court heard.

Mark Wright, mitigating, reeled off a list of occasions when the exasperated householder was kept awake between midnight and 8am while the people next door partied and ‘smoked drugs’.

Wayne Clarkson, 49, damaged two five-foot panels and “completely smashed” two six-foot gates after “something broke within him”

Becky Allsop, prosecuting, described how on June 9 a resident on South Street, South Normanton, saw Clarkson ‘waving’ a metal bar around and pointing at the offending property.

She said: “He was shouting at neighbours, saying he was sick and tired of the occupants keeping him awake from midnight until 8am, making noise.

“During a police interview he said there had been issues with music all hours of the morning and smoking drugs.”

Read More

Read More
Boozy moped rider who was FOUR times over limit fell off bike twice in Kirkby

Clarkson, of South Street, admitted criminal damage.

Mr Wright said Clarkson, of previous good character, was now unemployed, but had previously run a van driving business, which he lost ‘because he couldn’t sleep’.

He said: “He didn’t feel safe driving anymore and has been living off his savings – he comes across as normal, but he didn’t behave normally on this occasion.

“There are five or six people living next door and the habit has been to play loud music throughout the night – I cannot imagine what it must have been like.

“On this occasion there was no music, but it was getting towards the time when he was anticipating it would start.

“Something just broke within him – he was frustrated and didn’t know where to turn.”

Clarkson was fined £40 and ordered to pay £150 compensation, £85 court costs and a £34 victim surcharge.

A magistrate told him: “We do appreciate the situation you were in – there’s nothing worse than loud music at all hours.

“We have a degree of sympathy and you are of previous good character.”