Disabled man dies in house fire

editorial image

A disabled man with a debilitating condition has died following a blaze at his home.

Fire fighters attended the address on Cherry Tree Close, Mansfield Woodhouse in the early hours of Thursday, 
September 7.

Kevin Ward, 54, died on the evening of Sunday 10th September.

Rescued by fire fighters, Mr Ward, who was disabled, was taken to hospital in an ambulance and later died.

Tom Clark, station manager at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said: “This is an absolutely tragic incident and our thoughts, and condolences, are very much with the gentleman’s family and friends.

“Firefighters were called to the property at 6,59am, following reports of a domestic smoke alarm sounding. Upon arrival they found a fire in the bedroom and quickly effected a rescue before administering medical treatment.

“The gentleman was then stabilised by East Midlands Ambulance Service before being taken to hospital, and it brings us a great deal of sadness to hear that he has now passed away.

“An investigation into the circumstances around this fire is still on-going, however we are treating it as an accidental incident that has unfortunately showed just how devastating fire can be. Whilst we do not yet have a confirmed cause, I cannot emphasise just how important it is to ensure yourself, and your family, regularly review the fire safety measures that are in place in your home.

“As a service we offer free advice and can also come out to do a home safety check in your property. If you feel like you, or somebody that you know, could benefit from one of these checks please visit our website – www.notts-fire.gov.uk – or call us on 0800 022 3235.” Fire crews from Mansfield and Edwinstowe attended the fire along with police and ambulance crews.

One resident on the street said: “We never heard anything, I only noticed when I saw the ambulance lights flashing. It was unexpected it is such a quiet street. The windows were black with smoke when they came to board them up. ”