Youngster Wood helps keep Notts on top

Nottinghamshire 371 (120.4 overs) Hampshire 167-4 (61 overs) - End of day two

Monday, 27th April 2015, 7:20 pm

Nottinghamshire fast bowler Luke Wood claimed two scalps to keep the visitors on top after an attritional second day against Hampshire at the Ageas Bowl.

Wood, playing in place of the injured fellow left armer Harry Gurney, kept Hampshire under the cosh, the home side trailing by 204 runs.

Jimmy Adams’ half century was a rare positive for a Hampshire side who are continuing to adjust to life back in Division One.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Adams, who has been rewarded with a benefit year this season, scored an unmemorable but important innings has kept his side within touching distance against a skiddy Notts bowling attack.

In a tricky four over spell before lunch Hampshire lost their first wicket as Liam Dawson was bowled attempting to leave South African Vernon Philander’s straight full-length delivery.

Adams set about recovering the Hampshire innings and reached his 60th first-class 50 from 124 balls but lost Michael Carberry midway through the afternoon session.

After a 66-run partnership with his skipper, England-man Carberry, 30, thickly edged to Samit Patel at second slip to give Wood his first wicket of the season.

England under 19 player Wood, playing just his second first-class match, started to cause Adams problems after tea. He was denied a close leg before shout before get his man the next ball, the Hampshire skipper departing for 61.

While Wood prospered, seam-bowling partner Jake Ball was forced to limp off the field after seemingly pulling a muscle while running in. He did not reappear after leaving the pitch in the 17th over.

James Vince continued his indifferent start to the season with a scratchy 32 before he was involved a mindless run out attempting to run a second to Philander’s arm.

The umpires took the players off the pitch as the light dimmed – even under the floodlights - before calling an end to the day at 6:13pm.

In the morning session it took Hampshire 90 minutes to take the remaining four first innings wickets under perfect blue skies.

Day one centurion Alex Hales could only add five runs to his overnight score before former teammate Andre Adams dislodged his off stump, Hales swinging across the line for 141 from 221 balls.

Gareth Berg found the edge of Philander’s bat before Adams got the merest of nicks from Will Gidman before keeper Adam Wheater produced a full-length dive which handed the home side maximum bowling points.

Wood and Ball gave Hampshire a frustrating 13 overs of tail end batting as the pair scored their highest individual Championship scores, both 26 in a stand of 47, before Liam Dawson bowled the latter to end the Notts innings on 371.