Rain hits round five of Notts Premier games

Share this article

The gods of early summer weather returned with a vengeance as round five of the NCB Premier League season suffered a deluge of disruption on Saturday.

The matches at Clifton, Birchover Park and Derby were all cancelled before a ball could bowled.

As a result, Clifton Village, Mansfield Hosiery Mills, Rolls Royce Leisure, Welbeck Colliery, West Indian Cavaliers and Plumtree all took home six points.

Cuckney were able to cut into Clifton’s lead as they saw some play at home to Radcliffe-on-Trent.

The visitors won the toss in a match reduced to 35 overs per side, and invited their hosts to bat first.

Adam Burgess and Luke Thomas opened up and partnered in a stand of 70 before Thomas fell for 43.

This brought Nick Langford to the crease and he remained there for the balance of the innings, compiling 77 not out from just 61 balls.

The pairing with Adam Burgess (54 not out) was worth 118 as the innings closed on 188-1 from the 35 overs.

The Radcliffe reply lasted just 11 balls before the weather made its final intervention, with the score on 13-1, Cuckney taking 10 points and Radcliffe six.

At Ordsall Bridon the home side won the toss and decided to bat against Kimberley Institute, as again a match was reduced to 35 overs each.

In a similar turn of events to last week, Ordsall started steadily before slipping to 77-6.

James Brice held the tail together before being eighth and last out for 44. Skipper Paul van den Heuvel declared the innings after 32.3 overs with the score on 124-8.

Alex King, with 3-20, and Jon Shaw, with 3-36, led the Kimberley bowling.

Unfortunately for Kimberley’s batsmen, the weather had the final say and their innings never got started.

They did, however, get the better of the points, scoring nine to Ordsall’s eight.

In the day’s final match up, the Nottinghamshire Academy won the toss and asked visitors Caythorpe to have first bat in yet another game reduced to 35 overs each after a delayed start.

Luke Wood snared a pair of victims inside the first three overs as Caythorpe struggled early.

Steve Allcoat teamed with Mat Dowman to rebuild the innings either side of a rain break, taking the score from 8-2 to 97, before Dowman holed out for 34.

Allcoat went on to dominate the innings, scoring exactly 100 from 109 balls as his side secured maximum batting points, closing their innings on 168-7 from their 35 overs.

The Academy reply was just 13 balls old when the rain came down and forced the players off for the final time, with the score on 12-1, Caythorpe gaining 10 points and Academy a valuable nine.