Rain fails to prevent Cuckney lifting title

It took until the final weekend of the NPL season, but Cuckney finally secured a third Notts Premier League title triumph on Saturday.

Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:30 am
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:02 pm
Welbeck's Richard Stroh.

However, bad weather almost halted their title charge as rain forced their match against relegation-threatened Welbeck to be abandoned.

Cuckney’s title rivals, Plumtree, failed to cash in though as they were held to a draw at Radcliffe and Cuckney were crowned champions by four points.

They won 13 of their 22 matches over the summer, more than any other side, and finished the season on 346 points.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

On Saturday, play at Cuckney was abandoned in the 20th over.

Welbeck, who needed to win to try to overtake Attenborough and avoid relegation, had got off to a solid start.

Opener Tom Lungley made an unbeaten 34 in a first-wicket stand of 64 with Matthew Higgins.

Lungley struck three fours and a six in his 70-ball stay at the crease.

Higgins also hit three fours and as he made 25 from 43 balls before he was caught by Daniel Wood off the bowling of Simon Mugava.

Shortly after his dismissal, however, play was halted with the score on 70 for one in the 20th over.

Mugava finished with one for three from two overs.

The weather was a blow for Welbeck, who started the match well.

They were awarded six points, like Cuckney — but unlike Cuckney it was not enough for their ambitions.

That was because Attenborough finished 10 points clear of Welbeck, who were relegated after winning two matches.

Attenborough, who also won only two matches throughout the summer, lost by 22 runs to third-placed Kimberley.

At the New Gatehouse Ground, the match between Hucknall and Mansfield Hosiery Mills was reduced to 36 overs each.

The Millers were asked to bat and totalled 191 for six with major contributions from George Hadfield (41) and Joe New, who finished not out on 73 from 44 balls.

After Kamal Manek and Tom New were dismissed cheaply, Hadfield and Matt New (18) added 36 for the third wicket.

Hadfield then put on 49 with Joe New for the fourth wicket.

Hadfield struck three fours in his patient 88-ball innings.

When he was out, Kunal Manek joined Joe New and out on 56 for the fifth wicket.

Manek hit three fours in his rapid 26 from 17 balls.

Joe New, meanwhile, carried on until the end of the innings, striking 10 fours and two sixes.

Hucknall lost wickets regularly in reply with only Robin Maxwell (44) able to put up major resistance.

Hosiery Mills, however, were just unable to force victory as the home side hung on for a draw, finishing on 136 for nine. Eight Hosiery Mills bowlers shared the wickets.

Hucknall finished fifth and Hosiery Mills sixth.

The remaining two matches were both abandoned.

At Caythorpe, Farnsfield, who finished 10th, elected to bat first and were 151 for five when the wet weather intervened.

Opener Matthew Sisson top-scored with a run-a-ball 41, including seven fours and a six. He added 64 for the first wicket with wicketkeeper Curtis Mitchell (35).

Steven Mullaney was unbeaten on 35 when play was abandoned in the 36th over.

Notts Academy, playing their final match in the NPL, made 168 for eight against West Indian Cavaliers, who were on 57 for two when the rain came.