NOTTS Premier League: Welbeck youngsters make light work of Caythorpe

.Welbeck v Caythorpe 'Welbeck batsman Martin Dobson
.Welbeck v Caythorpe 'Welbeck batsman Martin Dobson

There were some observers that expected Welbeck Colliery’s early-season Notts Premier League form to fade by week eight.

But they continue to prove that you can win with youngsters as they extended their 100 per cent record on Saturday by defeating Caythorpe by 112 runs at the John Fretwell Complex.

The league leaders batted first on winning the toss and posted a competitive 245 for 6 thanks to the experienced pair of Martyn Dobson (63) and Robert French (54) with Jamie Jevons adding an unbeaten 34.

The visitors were left still looking for their first win of the season when they were skittled for 133 inside 36 overs with only Stuart Cope making a significant score with 31.

The result leaves Welbeck with a lead of 13 points over second placed Clifton, who inflicted a second defeat of the season on the West Indian Cavaliers at the Clifton Oval.

At the bottom of the table, Kiveton remain in the relegation zone after hanging on for a draw away at Mansfield Hosiery Mills.

The home side batted first on winning the toss and will have been content with their total of 287 for 5. Gareth Curtis continued his fine form this term with an unbeaten 111 from 145 balls with solid contributions from KC Jayasinghe (46) and Stephen Ludlam (47).

Kiveton grabbed maximum batting points by closing on 203 for 8. Richard Grainger again starred with 47 with Richard Spurr chipping in with 45. Sudesh Fernando claimed 3-45 for the Mansfield side.

At the Private Ground Cuckney beat Kimberley by three wickets.

The home side were dismissed in exactly 50 overs for 230 with skipper Sam Ogrizovic following his ton last week with 47, in support of Nick Langford’s 65.

Cuckney are at their best under pressure and knocked off the target for the loss of seven wickets in just over 48 overs with Tom Ullyot scoring 61, Elliot Hind 34 and David Hunt 30.

l Blidworth finally arose triumphant after a disappointing start to the Bassetlaw and District League season with a winning draw against fellow strugglers Killamarsh at Sheffield Road.

Batting first, Blidworth made a workmanlike 191 for 8 in their 50 overs.

They got away to a poor start when skipper Dave Willcock was dismissed early, but in glorious sunshine overseas import Asanga Weerasighe (48) led the fight back while Parminder Mudhar bowled 15 very tight overs and was rewarded with 3 for 35.

P. Wass and Andy Watson also added valuable runs but the score looked gettable if Killamarsh could produce a couple of batsmen with substantial scores.

Killamarsh made a poor start with Daniel Parkes being stumped early, but a good stand between Mark Bull and Eranga Gangoda slowly eased them back into the game.

However, when Bull went a middle order collapse saw Blidworth once again gain the initiative, and with the run-rate increasing all the time the task was becoming more remote.

Gangoda, who had batted brilliantly was finally bowled by Dave Willcock for a superb 69 and, although there was to be a brief foray from Rodney Cook and Parminder Mudhar, Killamarsh never looked like acquiring the required runs and they finished on 173 for 7.

Welbeck seconds’ Division One match at Whitwell ended in controversy and the result is still in doubt until the next management meeting.

Whitwell believed they had won the match when they reached 137 with one ball of the match remaining.

They were convinced the Welbeck score was 136, but the umpires had been given a total of two runs more.

Whitwell managed a single off the last ball but the affair is now with the League management committee to be investigated.