Mansfield’s Taz Taylor suffers tough weekend at Snetterton

editorial image

Mansfield’s Taz Taylor suffered a tough weekend at Snetterton during the latest round of the Pirelli National Superstock 600 Championship.

On the Friday morning Taylor was met with a wet track as early morning rain fell at the circuit.

Unfortunately he was one of a number of riders that came off in the conditions with one of them commenting there was more grip on the grass than the track.

Taylor only managed to get three flying laps in the session and found himself in 16th position.

In the afternoon the riders went out for the first qualifying session after the track had dried and there was a vast improvement in the lap times.

But Taylor suffered a technical issue that may have been a result from the crash in free practice and this prevented him getting a better lap time.

However, Taylor made his final flying lap count as the time of 1:56.957 was almost half a second faster than anything else he managed during that session. Taylor moved up to 12th less than a second from the front row.

On Saturday morning the weather was poor for the National Superstock 600 second qualifying session.

It had rained so much they were using a machine to brush water from the track surface. This meant that the lap times when they did go out were irrelevant, but it did give the riders some wet weather track time. Taz recorded the fourth quickest time in the session on the PaceDayz Trackdays Yamaha.

Early Sunday morning Taylor took part in the brief warm up session. It proved very positive for the rider from Nottinghamshire as he set his best time of the weekend and the third fastest of the session just 0.143 behind the rider placed first.

The Pirelli National Superstock 600 race took place at lunchtime on the Sunday. Taz Taylor got a fantastic start from 12th on the grid and was up to 6th place running behind Scott Deroue who he had so many battles with last year in the Motostar Championship.

However, Taylor’s run of bad luck continued when he went to overtake the Dutch rider going into turn four Agostini. The front-end washed out from underneath him and his race ended prematurely on the second lap.

Taylor said, “I’m gutted. For me and the team. After warm up I knew I had the pace. The bike felt mint. I made a fantastic start I thought I would have a good race.

“I’m not having a lot of luck at the moment, but with a bit more experience and some good fortune I know the results will come back.”

The next round of the Pirelli National Superstock 600 series will be at Thruxton on the weekend of the 22nd to 24th July.