Kyle Ryde sees bad luck continue in latest round of British Motostar Championship at Donington Park

editorial image

Young reigning 125cc Motorcycle Champion Kyle Ryde is still suffering the spate of ‘bad luck’ that seems to have been following him for most of this season’s racing.

Kyle was at his home circuit of Donington Park at the weekend in round 9 of the British Motostar Championship cup, a support series to the British Superbikes.

Kyle’s weekend got off to a good start with the free practise sessions on the Friday and was second and third in these two outings, just being piped to the flag by his old team-mate from a few seasons back, Bradley Ray.

Saturday was the main qualifying day and Kyle was feeling very positive and certainly during the two qualifying sessions he showed that he was the pace setter,

The first session saw him put a 0.128 buffer between him and Bradley Ray, whilst in the second session during the afternoon, he was looking strong for pole, when again he was taken during the last few laps by both Bradley Ray and Jordan Weaving, who towards the end slipped streamed Kyle in order to get the tow that he required to better Kyle’s lap time.

Kyle was third on the grid for the Sunday afternoon race, this was a front row slot and both Kyle and his father Sean, were pleased with that, as he would still be able to achieve a good start from this position and he was looking to monopolise on this.

Sunday morning’s warm-up was a taste of things to come as Kyle was going fastest in this 10 minute warm-up session, but then on the last few minutes of the warm-up, he entered pit-lane to the surprise of the team and his father, with a rather loud machine and the rear end of his exhaust hanging off. Kyle finished ninth in the warm session due to this malfunction and now had a machine to repair.

The afternoon race was delayed by 30 minutes an hour and then reduced to a 10 lap sprint due to an earlier race incident, which left oil on the track.

As the lights turned to red, Kyle took his time to settle into the race pace and by the second lap he was up into fourth position, but all of a sudden entering the Melbourne loop, the engine tune changed and the machine almost launched Kyle into the air.

Kyle realising it was something serious and perhaps terminal, pulled the clutch in and coasted to a stop.

He managed to push the bike back to the pitlane entrance, where his race for the weekend had ended.

On further inspection his Father Sean confirmed that the engine had seized and now it’s another race against time in order to have the engine rebuilt for round 10 at the Assen race circuit in Holland from 21st to 23rd of September.

Meanwhile Kyle is back in action with the Moto GP Redbull Rookies this coming weekend at the lovely San Marino circuit of Misano.