Fine start by Sutton in Booth League


Sutton Harriers’ men are in third place and their ladies in first place after the first winter Booth Decorators Cross Country race at Shipley Park on Sunday.

A total of 12 running clubs from Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire took part with 22 male and 11 female runners from Sutton tackling a 4.5-mile hilly course.

Michell Willcocks ended up as first senior lady and Dean Cross first veteran male.

The results with the positions for their age category were: Lee Morris 11th 27min 47sec, Paul Whittingham 2nd 28.17, Dean Cross 1st VM45 28.29, Michelle Willcocks 1st senior lady 29.59, Gary Berzins 15th 30.07, Chris Holmes 18th 30.34, James Simpson 19th 30.37, Liam Hodson 4th 30.38, Robert Roper 5th VM45 30.48 Brent Stevenson 7th VM45 31.02, Glen Baird 9th VM 45 31.47, Mandy Cormicam 2nd VL35 32.00, Laetitia Moakes 3rd VL35 32.12, Ryan Wood 23rd 32.19, Rebecca Barson 4th lady 38.06, Paul Dobbs 13th VM 45 33.24, Keith Brown 11th VM50 34.56, Dave Herbert 16th VM40 36.32, Callum Ball 3rd junior male 36.40, Caprice Miloro 2nd junior female 36.41, Kate Simpson 5th VL35 36.48, Amanda Alletson 5th VL40 37.20, Paul Beasley 10th VM55 39.09, Mel Hodson 4th VL40 39.45, Sue Bradley 10th VL40 40.06 , Alison Whittingham 4th 40,12, James Roper 4th junior male 40.23, Kerry Shooter 12th VL40 40.49(this is Kerry’s first year of running) Tony Staniland a young over 70 finished in 15th 41.46, Phil Bird 24th VM50 42.12, Daniel Ward 41st 43.48, Sarah Kaye 18th VL40 47.35, Rimini Miloro 5th junior female 48.

Paul Beasley, a member of Sutton Harriers Running Club, completed in the 50-mile Rowbotham’s Round Rotherham event on a warm Sunday morning.

This was a circular route on footpaths, trails and roads and had to be completed in 16 hours.

Paul started off from Dearne Valley College at 6am and being dark at this hour, head torches were needed.

Having only run the Nottingham marathon, this 50-mile grueller was different to 27 miles, but with determination, he set forth walking and jogging and by 7am the first of the main runners were passing him.

By halfway Paul was at Harthill in 5hrs 15mins and with biscuits, chocolate, and jelly babies at the seven check points he kept pushing on.

When the finish was in sight, the 50-year-old crossed over in 11hrs 45mins.