Boss Jay Faulkner disappointed after North Notts are hammered by Warwick after second half collapse

editorial image

North Notts failed to raise their game on Saturday as they were hammered 7-2 by Warwick to increase their relegation fears.

It was all square at 2-2 going in to the break, before Notts collapsed completely in the second half.

Speaking after the game manager Jay Faulkner said: “Today is a bad day for Notts 1st X1, a game we should been a lot closer to taking three points from has left us embarrassed and really looking over our shoulders with relegation a reality.

“We did have a plan, but it fell apart in the second half as we lost our positional discipline and looked tired.

“Next week we again face a tough game again away at Stratford and the team will have to increase its attitude and effort tenfold.”

North Notts were without with regulars Nathan Smith, Mark Johnson and Russ Jarvis and started slowly as Warwick threw everything they had at the Manor Park Side.

Notts were unable to reply with any vigour or enthusiasm and eventually Warwick found their breakthrough on eight minutes.

Ironically the goal came from a breakaway Notts short corner as Warwick exploited a five on three situation to score.

Again on 23 minutes Notts were guilty of giving the ball away cheaply in the middle of the pitch and Warwick won a penalty corner, which they scored from.

With Notts 2-0 down Notts introduced veteran Paul Wright into the fold to try and gain a foothold in the midfield.

The introduction of Wright steadied Notts and the away side began to play some good hockey.

They got back in to the game when Jason Barton scored from a penalty corner on 32 minutes.

Three minutes later Notts were all level as Josh Singleton slotted home from close range.

At half-time Notts seemed to have the desire and determination to go on to take the game and for five minutes of the second half Notts looked impressive. Warwick however had different ideas and a well drilled short corner and lacklustre defending saw Notts go 3-2 down.

The goal completely knocked Notts confidence and was the catalyst for the worst performance in recent years.

Six minutes it was 4-2 after Unwin was beaten by a oenalty, which saw Cooper yellow carded.

With Cooper off the pitch Warwick added another goal on 54 minutes effectively killing the game.

It was 6-2 on 57 minutes through another penalty corner and Warwick wrapped up the game with a seventh goal in the last minute leaving Notts again ruing their missed opportunity.