Leaders punish Mansfield

editorial image

Lapses of concentration proved costly as, despite a solid display, Mansfield Hockey Club lost 4-0 to visiting East Midlands Regional Hockey Premier League sponsored by Ener-G leaders Nottingham.

After the previous week’s disappointing display, Mansfield thought they would really be up against it, but put in a solid first half performance, enjoying some good possession, as they produced some slick passing.

The game was a midfield battle and the teams were evenly matched throughout the first half with few chances created.

It took 31 minutes before the first real chance of the game fell to Nottingham, their shot superbly saved by Ian Lowrey in the Mansfield goal.

Just before half-time Nottingham won the first short corner of the game and a flick shot was again saved by Lowrey to keep the scores level at the break.

The second half started the same as the first and Mansfield played well for the first 15 minutes.

However, from a break down the Nottingham right, Nottingham passed the ball across the area and the left half found himself in space due to a lapse in concentration by the defenders and they scored.

This broke Mansfield’s resolve and they seemed to lose their shape.

A series of short corners were won by Nottingham from which they scored two more goals.

With less than five minutes remaining Nottingham scored a fourth from open play following an excellent passing move.

l Mansfield seconds suffered only their second defeat of the season, 1-0 at mid-table Leicester Westleigh.

The game started at a very fast tempo with Mansfield dominating the game and peppering the Leicester goal, but failing to take their chances.

Midway through the first half, a counter attack by Leicester caught Mansfield short at the back and they scored against the run of play with a well hit shot from the edge of the D.

The second half was much the same as the first. It was hard-fought by both teams, but it was Mansfield who organised themselves better, at times applying constant pressure and created several good chances to score.

However Leicester stood firm.

l An improving Mansfield third team dominated the game to win 2-0 in their bottom of the table clash against Derwent.

With both teams playing attractive hockey, Mansfield had the majority of the play, but it was Derwent who had the best chance to score with a one-on-one with the keeper, but Louis Brown stood firm in goal and the first half ended 0-0.

The second half was completely dominated by Mansfield and the Derwent defence was finally breached as Phil Allen scored from one of Mansfield’s many short corners.

Mansfield continued to play well and some excellent passing from another short corner saw Mark Kimberley slot the ball home into an open goal after a fine pass from Jenkins to seal victory.