Wolves 1-2 Nottingham Forest

editorial image
Share this article

Adlene Guedioura struck a second half thunderbolt against his former side as Nottingham Forest grabbed a victory at Molineux on Saturday for the first time in 31 years.

The Reds’ midfielder sealed the points with his strike just before the hour-mark after Billy Sharp had equalised for Forest following an opener from Wolves’ Icelandic striker Bjorn Sigurdarson.

However, the win was overshadowed for the away side as striker Simon Cox was carried off the pitch on a stretcher in the second period following what looked to be a serious ankle injury.

It was an unsteady start to the game for both sides and the Reds were made to pay the price for losing their concentration early on when the home side took the lead.

On loan Stoke City midfielder Jermaine Pennant made his way down the right for Wolves before threading a ball through to Sigurdarson who connected well to finish past Lee Camp from 16-yards.

The visitors were not prepared to sit back and let Ståle Solbakken’s men come forward again and soon hit back following a goal of real class from Southampton loanee Sharp.

Reds’ midfielder Henri Lansbury hit a long pass diagonally across the field and Sharp brought the ball down with a delicate first touch to beat his marker, before sliding the ball past Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme and into the net.

Cox had started the game with assurance and went close to giving Forest the lead when the Republic of Ireland international struck just wide of the post after cutting in from just outside the box.

French midfielder Bakary Sako looked bright for the home side in the first half and attempted to get his side back in the game with a shot that was both high and wide of the target.

And at the other end of the pitch Sharp could have doubled his tally when the frontman side-footed over following a pacey surge forward from Cox.

Then soon after the roles were reversed as Guedioura played a neat one-two with Sharp before the striker found Cox who flashed his effort just wide of the post.

Moments later Wolves would have taken the lead but for a goal-saving challenge from Reds centre back Danny Collins who slid in to block a goal bound shot from midfielder David Edwards.

And before the break Reds keeper Camp was called into action once more as Sigardarson fired in an effort following a scramble amongst the Forest defence.

The second half began in a more positive fashion for Sean O’Driscoll’s men with Sharp showing his pace to run at the Wolves defence before finding Cox whose shot was collected well by Ikeme.

Guedioura was the man who came back to haunt his former teammates minutes later – the Algerian found space in the middle as the defence backed off him, unleashing a wonder strike from 25-yards that flew into the bottom corner to give his side the lead.

The celebrations from the travelling Forest fans soon turned to worry however, as Cox was stretchered from the pitch following a collision with Wolves defender Kevin Foley. Dexter Blackstock replaced the injured striker.

The hosts seemed down heartened after the goal and failed to carve out many opportunities - the closest they came to equalising came five minutes from time as Sako crossed in a dangerous ball with no Wolves player able to connect.

Despite six minutes of added time the Reds held out for a historic victory and now move to within a point of the Championship play-offs. Forest are back on the road again on Tuesday 27th November as they travel to Portman Road to take on strugglers Ipswich Town. Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme, Edwards, Sako, Ward, Johnson, Sigurdarson, Berra, Pennant (Ebanks-Blake 75), Doumbia (Davis 75), Doyle, Foley (Forde 89).

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Hutton, Ward, Collins, Harding, Gillett, Cohen, Guedioura, Lansbury (Moussi 88), Cox (Blackstock 65), Sharp (Moloney 94).

Man of the match: Adlene Guedioura

Referee: Roger East