Weaver’s first hat-trick helps Teversal forget cup blow

FIVE ALIVE -- action from Teversal's easy 5-0 victory at Rossington Main on Saturday.
FIVE ALIVE -- action from Teversal's easy 5-0 victory at Rossington Main on Saturday.

Lethal Lewis Weaver bagged his first senior hat-trick for the club as Teversal bounced back from their league cup disapppointment in midweek to rout Rossington Main.

Teversal were gutted to lose 4-3 to Premier Division high-fliers Albion Sports, of Leeds, in the Third Round of the cup, especially after leading 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2.

But young man-of-the-match Weaver’s treble led a successful return to Toolstation Northern Counties East League, First Division action as struggling Rossington Main were thumped 5-0.

The Tevie Boys could have been ahead from the first corner of the afternoon when Paul Staniforth drove in a meaty delivery that found the timely run of Ashley Kitchen, whose powerful header was cleared off the line by home defender Callum Wiffen.

But they didn’t have to wait long because only seven minutes were showing on the clock when Weaver was gifted his first goal. As Gary Armstrong put the ball behind the Rossington defence, centre-back Liam Cooper and goalkeeper Richard Watson appeared to have things under control -- only for a moment’s hesitancy to enable the visiting striker to nip in, round the ‘keeper and knock into an empty net.

Five minutes later, Weaver was the benefactor again as Watson spilled Staniforth’s cross into the six-yard box and he reacted quickest to gather the ball, turn and fire low from a tight angle past the stranded ‘keeper.

Watson redeemed himself with a top-drawer save to his left after Brad Cox had found Gary Atkins, who unleashed a fierce strike that was parried over the bar. And he seemed to inspire a brief fightback by Rossington, who carved out the chances to have drawn level.

First, Ben Clark, who pulled most of the home team’s strings, swung in a cross from deep that caught the Teversal backline square and allowed Lee Holmes to head a goalbound effort that brought the first save of the game from Dale Sheppard. And then wide man Jake Outram forced Sheppard to go full length for the slightest of fingertip stops that touched the ball on to the inside of a post and across the line.

The visiting ‘keeper was called into action again minutes later to foil Wiffen. But Rossington were punished for not making the most of their ascendancy because Teversal increased their lead two minutes from the break. From a short pass by James McCann, Cox held the ball up well before releasing Atkins, who had the time and space to curve a shot past the advancing Watson.

The third goal took the wind out of Rossington’s sails, although their effort and commitment could not be questioned. They did create two more good openings as Clark’s well-struck effort was denied by another excellent save from Sheppard and Jordan Woodhall somehow put a free header wide from close range. But it was Teversal who added two more goals in the 57th and 72nd minutes.

A patient build-up that involved virtually all of the visitors’ outfield players led to Sean Dickinson finding Cox, who left the ‘keeper static by smashing home with aplomb from 18 yards. And the same duo engineered the opening for Weaver to complete his landmark threesome with a clinical finish.

Next up for Teversal is a home game this Saturday (3 pm kick-off) against Hull outfit Hall Road Rangers, who are one of only three teams below Rossington in the league table.

TEVERSAL LINE-UP -- Sheppard/ Armstrong (Hempshall 45), Staniforth (Tittley 67), Gregory, Fisher, Kitchen (Moody 45), Dickinson, Atkins, Cox, Weaver, McCann. SUBS NOT USED: Guest, Brooks.