Teversal set new record for worst sequence of results after latest defeat

Match action from Teversal's defeat. Pics by Keith Parnill
Match action from Teversal's defeat. Pics by Keith Parnill

Teversal’s 4-0 loss at promotion-chasing Pontefract Collieries saw the club record a new unwanted record for the worst sequence of results.

The defeat left the club with just one from their last 12 games to break their previous record which was set when the club was promoted to Step Six of the National League system.

The hosts, who lost players due to injury and work commitments ahead of the game, dominated from the off so when Catton robbed Tevie Skipper Langley to send a through ball that allowed Radford to open the scoring on four minutes there was an air of inevitability of what was to follow.

Brooks in the Teversal goal put in an excellent performance again and, when Fergoine unleashed a 20 yard drive, the Tevie Keeper was forced to go full length to make a great save.

But there was nothing the Tevie Custodian could do when in the 19th minute the roles were reversed from the opening goal as Radford became the provider giving Catton the time and space to fire post the stranded Brooks to make it 2-0.

The visitors were being stretched all over the park and Catton unleashed a stunning 20 yard strike that Brooks had to be alert too and tipped the dipping effort over the bar.

The resulting corner saw a scramble and Taylor had to clear off his goal line to prevent Ponte increasing the lead even further.

On 31 minutes another excellent passing move saw Ponte make it 3-0. The ball was worked across the 18 yard box to former Tevie and Shirebrook Town Striker Aaron Moxon to clinically fire home to put a truer reflection to the score line and mark the home side’s dominance.

Tevie did manage to create a couple of efforts towards the end of the first period with Brentnall hitting the side netting with one effort, before he was disposed by Ponte full-back Kamara as he made towards goal.

doing well to dispose Brentnall before clearing to safety.

Credit must go to the Tevie Boys who could have laid down and been on the end of a much heavier defeat.

They created an excellent effort in the opening minutes of the second period when a well worked passing move saw Dickinson unleash a fiercely struck effort that saw Parry make his first save of the afternoon in the Ponte goal.

The game was a far more open affair now with Catton thinking he had notched his second and Ponte’s fourth on 74 minutes when Corbett drove in an excellent low cross to the lively wide player, who was flagged for offside.

Brooks was called upon again to make a double save first denying Radford’s effort and then after a melee denied Whitehouse.

From the resulting corner though Ponte did manage to score their fourth goal when Lindley finishing which was a little harsh for the Tevie Boys who had put in a much improved second half.

Teversal’s day was summed up in the dying minutes when Langley fired a superb strike from 20 yards that beat Parry but smashed against the post with Dawson reacting the quickest to head home the rebound from an offside position.

eversal could have no qualms over the score-line and again have to thank Ryan Brooks for keeping the score-line respectful.

But if results don’t pick up they could have their own destiny taken out of their own hands.

PONTEFRACT COLLIERIES: Craig Parry, Chris Kamara (Phil Lindley 56), Josh Corbett, Nigel Danby, Tom Copping, Luke Forgione, Andrew Catton, Aaron Joseph (Craig Ruise 60), Liam Radford, Aaron Moxon (Mathew Marsden 82), Mark Whitehouse. Subs Not Used – Iwan Heely, Adam Robinson.

TEVERSAL: Ryan Brooks, Tom Bates, Joe Toon, Luke Pickering, Scott Taylor, Brad Cox (Jason Dawson 66), Mark Robinson (Lewis Weaver 66), Matt Langley, Greg Tobin, Sean Dickinson, Josh Brentnall (Callum Pursglove 79). Subs Not Used – Toby Birch.

REFEREE: Cedric Duval (West Yorkshire).