Teversal held as red cards mar a thriller

A late red card for each side marred an entertaining afternoon in which Teversal earned a 2-2 home draw with Yorkshire Amateur in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League First Division on Saturday.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 24th October 2016, 2:37 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 3:36 pm

Teversal had a much improved week going in to Saturday’s game on the back of causing a League Cup third round cup upset by beating Premier Division Barton Town Old Boys 3-2 in their own back yard.

Goals from Josh Radford, Danny Fletcher and Jason Gregory sealed a well-earned victory, setting them up for a tough Division One fixture against Yorkshire Amateur, one of the most entertaining teams in the division.

It was the Ammers who started the brightest and gained reward in the fifth minute when Heard was allowed time and space on the right to whip in a low near post cross that invited Shaw to pinch a yard on the Teversal defence and nip in to finish from seven yards.

This was the ignition to spark a reaction from the Tevie Boys who started to have their share of the play and, like their visitors, gained a well-deserved reward for their efforts.

The movement of Mitchell and Radford was causing the Ammers rearguard problems, so when Bacon played a defence-splitting ball in to release Radford, he superbly took the ball in his stride before firing an unstoppable effort past Bojang to produce the 13th minute leveller.

The visitors nearly regained the lead on 17 minutes when Shaw lifted an effort over Francis from an acute angle, but Gregory had tracked back to clear off the line.

Shaw was proving to be a real threat to the hosts, again showing a turn of pace to fire an effort across goal that Francis appeared to save, but the referee adjudged not with a goal kick awarded.

Teversal were soon to realise that at the other end, Bojang in the visitors’ goal was also going to be a difficult obstacle they were going to have get over if they wanted to pick up a positive return from the game.

This was demonstrated on many occasions throughout the afternoon, and when Fletcher impressively broke down the right before pulling back to Mitchell, he unleashed a fierce low drive that Bojang saved superbly to his right.

He did the same again from a Fletcher effort from a tight angle minutes later.

With half-time approaching Dickinson made a great run in behind Heard to put in a clever lifted effort that looked like it had beaten Bojang, but the keeper managed to get a fingertip to the effort, the slightest touch enough for the ball to hit the bar.

The crossbar played an even bigger part in keeping the Ammers on level terms when on the stroke of the break a Sargent free kick found Laister to powerfully head an effort that smashed against the underside of bar and straight down but not over the line, with the visitors happy to go on in at half-time on level terms.

On the hour mark Teversal felt they had a stonewall penalty denied when Fletcher cut in from the right with Normanchild simply wiping out the Tevie man as Freeman cleared the ball, but the penalty was denied.

Fletcher again was the curse for the visitors’ defence when he nipped in to intercept a weak back pass from Rothel.

But with Bojang quick to narrow the angle, Fletcher put his effort past the keeper but also marginally wide of the far post.

Finally on 73 minutes the Tevie Boys took a deserved lead when Fletcher caused mayhem down the right again before pulling back to Dickinson to finish from 12 yards with a less than convincing strike.

But it had enough to beat the desperate full length dive from Bojang to nestle in the back of the net after hitting the inside of the post.

Unfortunately the hosts conceded a needless free kick some 25 yards out in the 79th minute.

Francis set up a solid wall, but Farnado Moke produced an excellently-executed free kick into the top corner that would have graced any game to level the scores at 2-2.

The Yorkshire Amateur hero soon turned villain and within a minute of the restart Moke put in a reckless challenge that gave the referee no option but to give Moke a straight red card.

Unfortunately the Ammers player didn’t take to this very well and aggravated the matter even further by reacting angrily to the referee.

This unsavoury incident lead to the game ending with a nasty taste and in the final minute Bamford went on a run that saw some rash challenges on him and the referee play an advantage that didn’t materialise.

When the Ammers hacked the ball clear, the referee blew the final whistle.

Teversal’s Mitchell then shared his opinion with the referee who awarded a yellow card to the Tevie striker, who continued to air his views which earned him a further yellow along with the mandatory red.

It was a bad end to a game that was so much better than that and when you look back it is hard to understand why both sides ended up with two yellow cards and a red in a game that really should be remembered for the football.

Next up for Teversal is another home game tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm) in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One with one of the promotion favourites, Hallam, the visitors.

TEVERSAL: Andy Francis, Tom Laister, Jason Dawson, Jason Gregory, Luke Weaver, Danny Bacon, Khyle Sargent (Brett Watson 88), Danny Fletcher (James McCann 82), Craig Mitchell, Josh Radford, Sean Dickinson (Kurt Bamford 73). Subs not used: Brad Cox, Macauley Short.

YORKSHIRE AMATEUR: Suwara Bojang, Carl Heard, James Rothel, Andy Townend (Thomas Rose), Daniel Freeman, Decland Normanchild, Fernado Moke, Tom Marsden, Adam Shaw, Daniel Sherreff (Joel Hughes 65), T’niquw Fishley.

REFEREE: Robert Woodburn.