Teversal handed a harsh lesson by rampant Hallam

Teversal were handed a harsh lesson from a rampant Hallam side on Saturday, going down 5-0 at home to the high flying Sheffield side.

This was viewed as a game to measure how far Teversal have come, after a good start to the campaign.

But it was Hallam who will come away the happier, and deservedly so, although had refereeing decisions gone the Tevie boy’s way it could have been very different.

The first effort on goal was an unconventional effort on 20 minutes when Guest’s looping cross-cum-shot saw the visiting keeper Darwent scurrying to get back to get an out stretched hand onto it to tip it onto the bar.

For Hallam Blythen’s cross found Brammer at the far post but was too high for the striker to control.

The visitors took the lead on 30 minutes when Blythen was allowed time and spaces to curl an effort out of the reach of Sheppard to make it 1-0 to Hallam.

With no further efforts on goal there was no signs of what was to come after the break with the home side still very much in the game.

The host got off to the worse possible start when Hallam came out and doubled their on 47 minutes with Brammer being released on the left to find Hargreaves who went past Staniforth, who slipped, allowing the Countryman to drive a low effort past Sheppard.

On 58 minutes a game changing decision went against the Tevie boys, as Gary Atkins broke in behind the Hallam defence and rounded the keeper Whittaker to attempt to place the ball in the empty only for Mirfin to foul him from behind.

The referee waved play on it looked a certain penalty and straight red card for Mirfin.

To add insult to injury Hallam went straight down the other end and Brodie Cooper sent Blythen through, the striker going down as Staniforth made an identical challenge to that of Mirfins, but this time Mr Fox enthusiastically blew his whistle and pointed to the penalty spot.

If it was a penalty then it should have been a straight red card for the skipper, but only a yellow was branded.

Brammer calmly put the spot-kick away to make it 3-0.

Three minutes later it was 4-0 when an excellent move saw Cooper produce a worthy finish to end the game as a contest.

On 76 minutes the rout was completed when Cardwell’s free-kick somehow found its way to Bird to fire a snap shot from close range that Sheppard did superbly to save, the ball rebounding to Blythen to make it 5-0.

At the other end of the park the hosts’ afternoon was summed up when Dave Cockerill held the ball up on the edge of the 18 yard box and swivelled to fire a thunderous effort that beat Darwin all ends up, but hit the underside of the bar and bounced to safety.

Next up for Teversal is an away fixture at Selby Town in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One on Tuesday 8th September.

TEVERSAL: Dale Sheppard, Keiran Coupe, Blake Vincent (Danny Williams 56), Jason Gregory, Paul Staniforth, Brett Watson, Gary Atkins, Brad Cox (Danny Barke 77), Richard Guest (Jermaine Jatau 45), Dave Cockerill, Jacob Tittley. Subs Not Used – Elliot Holmes, Dean Short.

REFEREE: James Fox (South Yorkshire).


YELLOW CARDS: Keiran Coupe, Paul Staniforth.