Teversal beaten late by league leaders AFC Emley

editorial image

AFC Emley remain top of the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One thanks to a 3-2 win at home to spirited Teversal.

It was the hosts who took control of the game from the off and, after only three minutes, should have opened the scoring when Sam Jerome somehow headed against the post from a yard out.

Simon Dye, recalled to the Teversal goal, produced a string of superb saves to keep his side in it as the home side pushed.

The first, and arguably the best save, came on the 14 minute mark when the ball dropped to Hallam to hit a superb volley that looked destined for the top corner before Dye went full length to parry the effort away from danger.

That was followed by Hallam becoming the provider when laying off to Kenworthy whose low effort was again superbly saved by the Teversal Keeper.

Emley did manage to make the break through on 22 minutes when Townend succeeded in finding the back of the net.

Dye produced another superb save on 40 minutes to deny Hallam after great work down the right from Kenworthy.

Against the run of play Teversal managed to pull level when Brooks was caught napping when Harris seized on Tobin’s well weighted through ball to lift the ball over the advancing Lawlor and in to the empty goal to make it 1-1 in the added on time of the first period.

But there was still time for the hosts to retake the lead on the stroke of half-time when Hallam poked home after Dye had done well to deny Doran Jordan.

It was the visitors who saw the first real chance of the second half when Bradley Cox saw his effort well saved by the patched up Lawlor.

Emley totally dominated the first period, so only going in only one behind must have been the inspiration for Teversal because, like Emley in the first period, they controlled the second period with equal amount of dominance as their table-topping hosts.

Teversal finally had their reward for the second-half dominance when Dave Cockerill’s perfectly weighted free kick found Tobin unmarked, who kept calm to guide his header past the stranded Lawlor to level the scores with seven minutes of normal time to play.

With only four minutes to play Teversal should have taken the lead when Lawlor fired marginally over the bar.

The true cost of that miss was realised with only two minutes remaining when Sykes’ free-kick found Antony Leech, who forced Dye into another good save.

The resulting corner saw Jordan head home after Josh Ingham sent the ball back into the mix.

Next up for Tevie is the visit of Grimsby Borough on Saturday 13th December 2014 with a 3:00pm kick off in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One.

AFC EMLEY – Adam Lawlor, Ryan Brook, Michael Starkey, Paul Sykes, Sam Jerome, Doran Jordan, Jordan Townend (Regan Fish 84), Antony Leech, Alex Hallam (Josh Ingham 72), Kurtis Noble (Danny Claridge 72), Steven Kenworthy. Subs Not Used – Ashley Flynn, Michael Tunnacliffe

TEVERSAL – Simon Dye, Mark Parkes, Barry Stokes, Paul Staniforth, Steve McGurk, Brad Cox, Greg Tobin, Gary Atkins (Matt Langley 85), Dave Cockerill, Ady Harris (Mark Robinson 69) , Jason Dawson (Sean Dickinson 62) Subs Not Used – Luke Fisher.

REFEREE – Stuart Roystone (South Yorkshire).