Teversal almost hit the buffers against bottom team Railway

GOALMOUTH ACTION -- it's all hands to the pump as Teversal defend a set-piece in their victory at Lincoln Moorlands Railway on Saturday.
GOALMOUTH ACTION -- it's all hands to the pump as Teversal defend a set-piece in their victory at Lincoln Moorlands Railway on Saturday.

The result was more pretty than the performance as Teversal almost came off track at Lincoln Moorlands Railway, who are stranded at the foot of the table.

The home side, who have won only three of 36 games this term in the First Division of the Toolstation Northern Counties East League, should be credited for their plucky efforts.

But there were no excuses for the forgettable display by Teversal, who laboured to a 3-2 victory after squandering a plethora of chances.

Without some terrific saves by man-of-the-match goalkeeper Dale Sheppard, they might have paid the price with a shock defeat. Manager Dean Short even sent himself on as a second-half substitute to try and rally his misfiring troops.

Teversal’s wastefulness in front of goal began from the kick-off as Brad Cox and Lewis Weaver failed to take advantage of three good openings in the first five minutes.

Sheppard then made the first of his stops before the visitors took the lead in the 11th minute. Weaver broke into the area, shook off the attentions of defender Craig Hiatt and although his shot was far from convincing, it was enough to creep home as goalkeeper Ashley Stephenson tried to save with his feet.

Stephenson redeemed himself when keeping out a one-on-one effort from Gary Atkins, who had been sent clear by Ashley Kitchen. And as Teversal continued to fail to turn their dominance into goals, they were stunned three minutes before the break when Moorlands equalised. James Greenhalgh played a well-weighted pass into Shane Clancey, who calmly took the ball in his stride to finish past the advancing but stranded Sheppard.

Teversal’s approach to the game probably came under the spotlight during the half-time team-talk. And they responded by restoring their lead in the 56th minute when Khyle Sargent spread a pass out wide to Kitchen and burst into the box to get on the end of the low cross. As the ‘keeper came out, he merely succeeded in driving the ball at the midfielder and it ended in the back of the net.

Again Stephenson showed he could be effective when orthodox as he dived full length to his right at the near post to parry a fierce shot from Atkins, who had gone on a mazy run. But moments later, his opposite number was in action again, producing a tremendous save to deny Lee Croft a Moorlands equaliser.

Teversal finally managed to force some daylight between themselves and the hosts by making it 3-1 in the 77th minute. Cox found substitute Jason Dawson, who crossed from a tight angle to leave Atkins with a tap-in.

However, the points were not in the bag yet. Three minutes from time, Sheppard made a wonder save, fingertipping a full-blooded strike from 25 yards by Leigh Warman on to the top of the bar and over. And the importance of the stop was realised in added time when Moorlands pulled a goal back -- Croft poking home from close range as the ball bobbled around in the six-yard area.

Sheppard’s display aside, it was an afternoon that will quickly fade from the memory for Teversal, who missed the oopprtunity to boost their goal-difference.

They will need to improve this Saturday when they take on Sheffield outfit Penistone Church at Carnarvon Road. Penistone sit seventh in the table after suffering just three defeats away from home all season.

Teversal are also in action next Tuesday night when they entertain Selby Town.

TEVERSAL LINE-UP -- Sheppard/ Hempshall, Moody (Watson 75), Gregory, Staniforth, Kitchen, Atkins, Sargent, Cox (Short 80), Weaver (Dawson 60), Dickinson. SUBS NOT USED: Charlesworth, Turton.