Steve Evans says Mansfield Town must bounce back from disappointment

Frustrated Mansfield Town boss Steve Evans says his side will have to bounce back quickly after chucking away two points against Luton Town.

Saturday, 26th August 2017, 8:24 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:14 pm
Mansfield Town manager Steve Evans during the Sky Bet League 2 match between Mansfield Town and Luton Town at the One Call Stadium, Mansfield, England on 26 August 2017. Photo by Leila Coker.

It looked like Mansfield Town had been cruising to three points following goals from Rhys Bennett and Lee Angol.

But Luton scored two goals in the last five minutes through James Collins and Danny Hylton as they fought back from the dead.

Evans said: “The lads will be disappointed in themselves. We have totally dominated this match and have dropped two points here.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We have not knocked them down because it was a great performance despite the last five minutes.

“We are told that Luton are going to be the champions, but we have given them a lesson today in passing football

“We did not take our chances and we have been punished for that. Their keeper made a really good save. We have had a chance with the penalty and not taken it.

“Nathan Jones (Luton boss) will know his side are lucky to escape with a point today. We just made too many individual errors.

“We are a good side and if we are close to Luton then we will go up.

Luton got a goal from a counter because we switched off, we took the game back to them but did not take our chances.

“The ref has not had a good game today but it’s not why we did not win. I will not allow the individual errors to sour things.”

Rhys Bennett gave Stags the lead on 23 minutes when he prodded home from Joel Bryom’s cross.

Lee Angol cooly finished after being put clean through on 71 minutes.

Luton gave themselves hope when James Collins tapped home from close range with five minutes left.

And the comeback was complete when an unmarked Danny Hylton headed home from close range.

Sub Jimmy Spencer then missed a penalty deep into stoppage time after Scott Cuthbert handled at the back post.

He hit his spot-kick straight at Marek Stech before Danny Rose blazed the rebound over.