SHIREBROOK TOWN 0-0 GAMESLEY FC After extra time (Shirebrook Town win 5-3 on penalties), DCFA Senior Challenge Cup First Round

editorial image

Shirebrook Town progressed to the second round stage of the Derbyshire Senior Cup on Wednesday, but plucky Cheshire League First Division side Gamesley FC pushed them all the way at Langwith Road.

The sides had met twice before in the competition and both ties had been tight affairs with Step 6 Shirebrook progressing narrowly on each occasion over their Step 7 opponents.

And this meeting was just the same in terms of possession, although Shirebrook created the clear majority of the scoring chances in 120 minutes of goalless football.

Shirebrook had a few injury worries ahead of the game and manager Mark Shaw took the opportunity to rest a few players, whilst giving others a chance to play and get some much-needed game time together.

And the home side were reasonably well in control during the whole of the 90 minutes, although struggling to hit the target with any regularity and have a chance of winning the tie in the normal period, whilst at the other end needing to survive the odd scare fashioned by the stubborn visitors.

And with a tough FA Vase tie to follow three days later, Shirebrook could probably have done without another 30 minutes of football, but they upped the ante going into extra time and only Gamesley keeper Jamie Finlay kept his side in it with two great saves that gave the visitors a chance of making it through to the next round via the lottery of deciding penalties at the end of the game.

But Finlay stood little chance as Kyle Jordan, Jack Barnett, Sam Eckhardt, Robert Cam and Tom Rowbotham all converted with well-struck penalties.

Meanwhile, Shirebrook keeper Gareth Briggs made himself the home hero of the night with a fine save, diving to his left to keep out the visitors’ second penalty from Mike Dewhurst.

Shirebrook Town: Briggs, Ludlam, Rowbotham, Gee (Jordan 70), Timons, Walker, Barnett, Lemon, Eckhardt, Vernon (Cam 88), Mullen (Rowley 64). Subs not used: L Jackson, Norwood.

Gamesley FC: Finlay, Salthouse, Worthington (McConnell 88), Scowcroft, Baker, Clarke, Dewhurst, Aldred (Baker 112), Heath, Stevenson (Burns 61), Mulryan. Subs not used: None (all named subs used).

Referee: Jamie O’Connor (Derbyshire)

Attendance: 62