Shirebrook fury at referee as Pontefract steal victory

Shirebrook were left frustrated by refereeing decisions as they were pipped 1-0 at home by high-flying Pontefract Collieries in their NCEL Division One clash on Saturday.

Monday, 28th November 2016, 4:46 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 3:41 pm
Karl Colley
Karl Colley

After an ill-tempered afternoon, just as it looked like the game was going to end in a draw Pontefract stole victory three minutes from time with a controversial winner.

The visitors pushed forward and the ball went out with the official on the near side flagging for a goal kick.

However, he was overruled by the referee, who wrongly gave a corner and the Shirebrook complaints fell on deaf ears.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

From the resulting corner Michael Dunn was left unmarked and headed into an empty net which saw tempers overflow after the final whistle with most of it aimed at the referee.

Earlier, Shirebrook had the first chance of the game when Robinson was played in, but his chip went just wide of the far post.

It was then the visitors who had most of the ball but couldn’t do anything with it and struggling to create chances.

When Shirebrook did get the ball the Pontefract players were more interested in kicking ankles than taking the ball back but both sides went in at the break level.

Shirebrook had the better of the second half with Dunn and Robinson forcing the Pontefract keeper into saves.

However, things began to go downhill for Shriebrook when halfway through the half manager Karl Colley was sent off for shouting at his own player, but the official on that side thought the words were aimed at him.

Colley was forced to watch the rest of the match from the dressing rooms as the referee then began brandishing a series of yellow cards for what the home side felt were not even fouls.

Then came the late controversy as the visitors left with all three points when they should only have had the one and sit second.

Shirebrook are back in action on Saturday when they visit Brigg FC (3pm).

SHIREBROOK: Dennison, Barnes, Harris, Swales, Hill, Foster, Hartfield (Langley), Wesley, Robinson, Lammey, Dunn. Subs not used: Douglas, Didici.