Sheffield Utd 1-1 Notts County

editorial image

Magpies’ striker Lee Hughes scored a goal 14 minutes from time at Bramall Lane on Saturday, earning County a hard-fought point to maintain their impressive unbeaten run.

The Blades were dominant in possession for long periods of the first half and forced Notts’ goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski into making three classy saves - denying Ryan Flynn, Paul Gallagher and Nick Blackman all in the first period.

County had their chances too however, and were unlucky not to score when Ivorian striker Francois Zoko’s effort was cleared to safety after Yoann Arquin had found the frontman with a ball from the right.

And the Pies struck the outside of the post when Arquin advanced into a dangerous position again soon after - picking out Jeff Hughes who had made a run into the box. The Northern Irishman connected with a good header but his effort struck the wrong side of the post.

After the interval it was Danny Wilson’s side that took an early advantage when former Premier League striker Dave Kitson found the top-corner of the goal with a clinical header after County had failed to clear.

United had chances to double their advantage but failed to capitalise and were made to pay when Lee Hughes struck the leveller. Magpies’ midfielder Joss Labadie struck a header against the bar and the ball fell to Jeff Hughes who squared across to his namesake Lee Hughes to prod home from close-range.

The Magpies are now unbeaten in their last seven games and sit in second position in the League One table, just three points adrift of leaders Tranmere. Keith Curle’s side face a tough game next against promotion-hopefuls Stevenage at Meadow Lane on Tuesday 2nd October. Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

Sheffield United: Howard, Maguire, Hill, Collins, McMahon, Flynn, Doyle, McDonald, Gallagher (Cofie, 85), Blackman, Kitson (Porter, 72)

Notts County: Bialkowski, Kelly (Labadie, 62), Leacock, Liddle, Regan, Bishop, Judge, J Hughes, Zoko (L Hughes, 60), Campbell-Ryce (Mahon, 80), Arquin

Man of the match: Bartosz Bialkowski

Referee: Neil Swarbrick

Attendance: 18,814 (including 1,712 away supporters)