Rainworth MW win ‘six-pointer’ against Kidsgrove Athletic

editorial image
Share this article

Rainworth picked up a vital three points in their relegation battle at Kidsrove Athletic after scoring a 90th minute winner.

The Wrens brought on Alex Loughran for Sibenge and, with his first meaningful touch hit the perfect cross which was turned home by Dean Freeman to seal a vital win.

The early exchanges saw both sides probing hoping to gain an advantage and Kidsgrove began to make the advantage of the slope count.

But, in a period when both sides had numerous consecutive corners, neither were able to add that finishing touch.

Rainworth created a chance in the 20th minute when Freeman’s long throw was cleared to Mark Camm, but his first time shot was well wide of the goal.

Then Rainworth debutant Gino Kelleher evaded a couple of tackles before firing just wide.

Kidsgrove went even closer when, in the 23rd minute Matt Haddrell’s header was cleared on the line by Dan White.

Rainworth too had chances as, in the 31st minute, Alex Haughton’s shot was blocked and fell to Craig Mitchell, but his effort was well wide.

The second half started with Kidsgrove on the attack and Haddrell’s throughball to Ryan Brown created a good chance, but his shot just cleared the bar.

In the 54th minute Aiden Matranga’s shot was blocked by Theo Brown at the expense of a corner. From the resultant corner Chris Flynn’s effort just cleared the crossbar with Jake Turner well beaten.

Rainworth retaliated with Kelleher showing skill and composure as he evaded lunging tackles, hitting his shot just the wrong side of the post.

The 63rd minute saw Rainworth substitute Ian Robinson for Haughton.

In his first involvement Robinson’s through ball found Henry Sibenge who beat the keeper but, as his shot rolled towards goal, it was cleared.

On 73 minutes Kidsgrove had a great chance to take the lead but Dave Walker’s crossed ball just went behind Haddrell with the goal beckoning.

But Rainworth snatched the lead right on full-time when Freeman fired home.

In the final minute Walker had a great chance to get the equaliser, but his effort flashed just over the crossbar and the referee blew for full-time.

Rainworth had taken the points, but in all honesty Kidsgrove deserved something from the game and could even have been the victors, such were the fine margins.

RAINWORTH: Turner; Hannigan; T. Brown; Freeman; White; Camm (Kenlock); Mitchell; Nwadike; Sibenge (Loughran); Haughton (Robinson); Kelleher. Subs (not used): Brock; Ofushine.

Referee: Mr. Steven Mylock.

Man of match: Dan White.