Rainworth MW pick up vital win at Romulus

editorial image

Rainworth boosted their survival hopes with a 2-1 winat Romulus.

It would be easy to dismiss Rainworth’s victory away as down to a red card midway through the first half, which gave them a man advantage.

That however wouldn’t be a fair assessment on a performance that showed in glimpses a team moving in the right direction, not yet perfect, but with a promise of much more to come.

In the fifth minute a strong run and cross down the right by Josh Craven, saw Theo Brown thwarted as Stuart Parsons dove bravely at his feet.

Romulus pressed and only successive blocks by Jake Turner and Dan White prevented Courtney Baker-Richardson opening the scoring for Romulus.

The game had chances at both ends and, in the 20th minute, Raven’s long throw was volleyed by Tommy Hannigan but it was easily saved by Parsons.

Romulus were reduced to ten men when Nangle broke for what would have been a one on one with the keeper, befre he was pulled down by Cameron Lee and the referee had no hesitation in showing him a red card.

Rainworth immediately took advantage and Gino Kelleher’s shot was only parried by Parsons and cleared at the expense of a corner. From the corner Hannigan’s header was only inches on the wrong side of the upright.

Rainworth were thankful to Raven who cleared a Romulus cross that only needed a touch to open the scoring.

Just as Rainworth looked as though they would reach half-time against the strong wind on level terms, Barry Fitzharris met a ball outside the area and struck an absolute screamer to put the home side ahead on 40 minutes.

Romulus had been down to 10 men for half of the first half but the wind had helped them. The second half would be a different affair.

Rainworth were level as Turner’s free kick found Dean Freeman on the back post and he stabbed the ball home on 51 minutes.

The visitors the front on 66 minutes when Ofushine’s shot was only parried by Parsons and Graham made no mistake to give them the lead.

A minute later Banje was unlucky to see his effort clip the post and into the side netting.

Rainworth for once had a piece of good fortune when a Romulus break ended with the ball in the net only for it to be ruled offside by the assistant referee.

It was almost 3-1 when Kelleher’s looping shot just went the wrong side of the post.

Rainworth played out time and deservedly gained all three points that had been a fighting performance from the whole team.

RAINWORTH: Turner; Raven (Mansaram); Freeman; Hannigan; White; Kelleher (Kenlock); Ofushine; Nwadike; Nangle (Bange); Graham; T.Brown. Sub (not used): S.Robinson.

Referee: Mr. Richard Garner.

Man of match: Kuwesi Ofushine.