Rainworth MW beaten by Sutton Coldfield as relegation fears worsen

editorial image

Rainworth’s battle to stay in the Evo-Stik NPL Division One South took another turn for the worse after they were beaten 5-2 by league leaders Sutton Coldfield.

Both sides had early chances and, in the sixth minute, Robert Evans should have opened the scoring for Sutton Coldfield, but his effort struck Jake Turner on the line and went out for a corner.

Rainworth had a chance in the 8th minute, but Alex Kenlock’s effort was blocked for a corner.

Sutton continued to dominate and Jordan Nadat had two chances in quick succession, the first blocked for a corner and the second scuffed wide after an excellent reverse ball had put him through.

But the home side took the lead after 12 minutes when Justin Richards was allowed to turn and he nonchalantly passed the ball into the far corner to open the scoring.

Whilst the shot may have lacked power its accuracy was of the highest order and it gave Turner no chance.

Rainworth wasted another chance on 14 minutes as Henry Sibenge found Alex Ford, but his effort was wide of the far post.

Then in the space of three minutes Sutton Coldfield almost doubled their lead as Nadat’s header went over the bar when well-placed and Richard’s free-kick was tipped around the upright by Turner for a corner. From the resultant corner Theo Brown headed Tom Turton’s header off the line.

Rainworth had two good chances to level when Graham headed just wide on 32 minutes before Ford’s cross caused danger three minuts later.

But it was Sutton Coldfield who increased their lead as Danny O’Callaghan outjumped the Rainworth defence to head home in the 38th minute.

At half time Rainworth brought on Mark Camm for the injured Dan White, but it was Sutton he continued to dominate and Mykel Beckley missed a good chance when well placed.

Sutton Colfield’s third goal came in the 52nd minute when Nadat was the first to react to a ball hit into the crowded six yard box and prodded the ball home.

In the 65th minute Jamie Sheldon must have thought his goalbound shot would find the top corner only for Turner to make a top class save and turn it over for a corner.

His efforts were in vain however as from the corner Robert Evans was left unmarked and easily headed home for a 4-0 lead.

Then the away side got their deserved goal, and what a goal it was, Ford played the ball into Graham’s path and from about 15 yards hit a shot that gave Evans no chance.

It was to be Ford’s last involvement in the game as he finally succumbed to a dead-leg received earlier and was replaced by Kuwesi Ofushine.

Rainworth almost got a second in the 85th minute when from a corner Richards put the ball over when it seemed easier to score.

Sutton however hadn’t finished and when a header can back off the crossbar Beckley was on hand to hit an absolute screamer to give Turner no chance.

Rainworth to their credit didn’t give up and in the 89th minute Gino Kelleher was on hand to place the ball into the far corner with Evans just a spectator.

Rainworth learnt that if you give teams of Sutton Coldfield’s quality time and space on the ball, you will be punished.

They also showed they are capable of scoring quality goals, the challenge is to prevent the opposition scoring more.

RAINWORTH: Turner; Hannigan; T.Brown; Freeman; White (Camm); Graham; Kelleher; Nwadike; Kenlock (Richards); Ford (Ofushine); Sibenge. Subs (not used): Brock; Robinson.

Referee: Mr. Neil Radford.

Man of match: Jake Turner.