Rainworth count the cost of lack of cutting edge after Goole AFC draw

editorial image

When you’re down at the bottom, football can be such a cruel game and Rainworth found that out after they could only draw 1-1 with Goole AFC.

Rainworth have created enough opportunities in their last three games to have won all three, but all they have to show for it is a solitary draw.

Goals win matches and Rainworth’s ratio to chances created is simply not good enough.

But it was Rainworth who hit the front when Romaine Graham set up Gino Kelleher on the edge of the area and he made no mistake as hit shot found the far corner on 12 minutes.

Graham then fired over minutes later following good work by Theo Brown as the home side dominated.

In the 20th minute Alex Ford’s goal-bound shot was somehow kept out by Ryan Musselwhite and it only seemed a matter of time before Rainworth increased their lead.

The onslaught was persistent and, as Kelleher ran onto a ball in the area, only a last ditch tackle at the expanse of a corner prevented another effort on goal. From the resultant corner Dean Freeman put his effort over when well-placed as the pressure mounted.

The pattern continued and Rainworth went even closer in the 26th minute when Ford’s goal-bound shot was kicked off the line.

There was a penalty appeal in the 28th minute when Brown was brought down by a desperate tackle, but the referee felt the ball had been won first.

The 37th minute saw Ofushine’s goal-bound shot blocked by Musselwhite, which left the home fans wondering if after a half when they should been out of sight, Goole would make them pay.

There was still time for a couple more Rainworth chances by Dan White and Ofushine, but ominously for the home side Goole were starting to come into the game and Steven Woolley and Adam both had opportunities before the half-time whistle.

The second half saw Goole straight on the attack and, from a corner in the 46th minute, they headed over when well placed.

Rainworth were no longer dominant, but in the 52nd minute Emeka Nwadike had a chance but put his effort wide.

A lapse in concentration was to prove costly as a needless foul was conceded on the edge of the Rainworth penalty area and free-kick specialist Andy Gascoigne placed it around the wall and into the far corner for the equaliser.

In the 58th minute Rainworth brought on Darren Mansaram for the injured Ford as Goole started to get on top.

Muhammed Sabo should probably have done better for Goole when his effort went over as het met a driven free-kick.

Rainworth came back into it and Kelleher’s goal-bound shot was deflected just wide in the 68th minute.

They had another opportunity in the 74th minute when Mansaram found Graham and as he turned in the six yard area his shot was blocked.

A minute later it was Goole’s turn as Danny South’s effort was well wide.

Rainworth brought on Steve Robinson for Ofushine as they began to tire in a match that was becoming stretched.

Rainworth had another scare in the 82nd minute, but this time Gascoigne’s free-kick was wide.

In the final minute both sides had chances, but Mansaram’s just went over and Goole’s South put his header agonisingly wide.

On the final whistle it was yet another game that promised so much for Rainworth and their only solace was they had at least got a point from a game that with better finishing should have yielded much more.

RAINWORTH: Turner; Raven; Freeman; Hannigan; White; Ofushine (S.Robinson); Kelleher; Nwadike; Ford (Mansaram); Graham; T.Brown (Brock). Subs (not used): Sibenge; Kenlock.

Referee: Oliver Bickle.

Man of the match: Gino Kelleher.