Rainworth beaten as relegation battle increases

editorial image

Relegation-threatened Rainworth were beaten 4-1 by an improving Coalville Town side.

But they were not helped by the fact that key players unavailable for varying reasons for the home fixture as the fight for survival intensifies.

The game started at a frenetic pace with both sides pushing forward in search of the opening goal.

In the ninth minute Matt Millns headed the ball on and Alex Ford was on hand to open the scoring for Rainworth.

Rainworth look a more balanced side when Ford plays and his six goals in nine games speak volumes of his importance to the cause.

Another good move in the 12th minute saw Ford’s screamer just clear the crossbar with Sean Bowles a helpless bystander.

A Freeman long throw in the 16th minute saw Tommy Hannigan head it on and Emeka Nwadike put the ball in the net.

But the celebrations were short-lived when the referee disallowed it for offside.

That spell of Rainworth dominance was to be the last in a half when Coalville gradually gained the upper hand, but stout defending and poor finishing meant they still led at the half-way stage.

The nearest they came to an equaliser was in the 39th minute when Nathan Watson weaved his way into the area, but his goalbound shot was brilliantly tipped around the post by Jake Turner.

Coalville pressurised the Rainworth goal and were rewarded when Ian Robinson failed to clear and Jake Wooley ran through and placed his shot wide of Turner for the equaliser.

Rainworth heads dropped and they started to miss tackles and were guilty of hitting the ball aimlessly at times.

It came as no surprise when, in the 59th minute, a cross found Watson in the area and his first time shot gave Turner no chance.

Rainworth continued to frustrate as they struggled to quell the Coalville onslaught and when they gave away a free-kick on the edge of the area in the 67th minute, there was to be only one outcome.

atson and Sam Brooks lined up the kick and it was Brooks who hit his shot into the far corner for the third.

This seemed to spur Rainworth and a good move in the 72nd minute saw Henry Sibenge find Ford, whose lob beat Bowles but just cleared the crossbar.

Rainworth came even nearer in the 75th minute when, from a corner, Tommy Hannigan’s goal bound header was cleared off the line by Brooks.

That was too be their final chance as Coalville again dictated play. And, in the 81st minute, only a good save by Turner prevented Luke Smithson increasing their lead.

It got even worse for Rainworth when a minute later Ford went down injured and had to be replaced by Alex Haughton.

In the final minute Rainworth had a lucky escape when a free -kick across the goal struck the far upright and was cleared.

There was still however time for Watson to get the fourth with a header from Alex Dean’s cross.

Rainworth were glad to hear the final whistle in a game that promised much but ended with Coalville deserved winners.

RAINWORTH: Turner; Hannigan; T.Brown; Freeman; Millns; Nwadike; Camm; Robinson (Brock); Sibenge (Kenlock); Ford (Haughton); Fushine. Sub (not used): Richards.

Referee: Mr. James Thornhill.

Man of match: Matt Millns.