Ollerton claim bragging rights in Shirebrook derby

Ollerton Town picked up an important three points on Saturday after beating Shirebrook 2-1 in their first local derby of the season.

Monday, 17th October 2016, 12:58 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 6:56 pm
Shirebrook Town v Glasshoughton Welfare

The two teams went into the game at the wrong end of the table, and level on eight points with Ollerton being kept out of the bottom two due to their superior goal difference.

Shirebrook will have been buoyed by the recent appointment of new manager, Karl Colley, and a handful of new signings, ahead of Saturday’s clash.

It was one of those debutants, Jonathan Hill, who gave Colley the perfect start by putting Shirebrook ahead on five minutes. Ollerton will have been disappointed with the way it was conceded, a mistake in the middle of the field leading to Hill have the freedom to run through and slot calmly past Gretton.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Despite the positive start, this was as good as it got for Shirebrook until a late period of pressure and instead, Ollerton bounced back and started to dominate possession. The visitors did suffer another major setback however, as goalkeeper Scott Gretton was forced off with a dislocated finger, meaning midfielder Ben Bowring was forced to spend the remainder of the game between the sticks.

Ollerton’s pressure continued to grow and it finally paid off with two goals late in the first half that would ultimately win them the game. The first arrived in the 39th minute. Lewis Bingham did brilliantly down the left wing, turning his defender inside and out before dinking a cross into the middle for Josh Dodd to head into the corner.

The secondcame when a corner was cleared to Dodd in the middle of the park, and his ball back in found Kyle Ludlow whose chest and volley was saved well low down by Dennison, only for Ludlow to place the rebound into the back of the net for his third goal in the last four games.

Ollerton lost skipper Sam Stretton during half time to an injury but were presented with a chance to seal the three points five minutes into the second half. Lewis Bingham was shoved inside the Shirebrook area, and after referee Liam Smith pointed to the spot, it was Bingham himself who stepped up to take the penalty. Unfortunately, his chipped effort from 12 yards had Dennison beaten, but sailed over the bar to keep Shirebrook in the game.

Greg Tobin, Tom Cooke and Bingham had further chances for Ollerton but it was a nervy last ten minutes as Hill twice saw sight of goal, squandering both.

Elsewhere, Ollerton Town Ladies recorded their second win in a row on Sunday, defeating Sleaford Town 1-0.