Nottingham Forest share the spoils with managerless Blackburn Rovers

editorial image

Nottingham Forest played out a goalless draw with Championship high-flyers Blackburn at the City Ground on Wednesday evening - coming away with a point despite dominating long periods of the match.

The game produced chances for both sides in the early stages but the Reds began to control the play before the interval and continued to apply pressure to the Rovers’ defence in the second half.

Yet, despite their edge in midfielder the home side struggled to break down a strong Blackburn defence and were denied by some good work from former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

Reds’ midfielder Lewis McGugan was in encouraging form from the off and nearly grabbed himself an assist early in the first period when his corner flashed into the box just inches away from the waiting Chris Cohen.

Rovers went into the game with an unbeaten record away from home and were looking to keep that intact. However, the closest they came in the first period was when centre-back Grant Hanley tested Forest keeper Lee Camp with a long-range effort that Camp gathered well.

After the teams emerged from the tunnel for the second period Camp became a spectator as Forest began to push for a goal. Veteran winger Andy Reid looked to open the scoring following a corner but his effort flew inches over the bar.

And soon after former Arsenal man Henri Lansbury created a fantastic goal-scoring opportunity when he made space for himself in the area before fizzing a lovely shot at Robinson who parried the ball away superbly.

Reid then created what was probably the best chance of the game when the midfielder found Billy Sharp in front of goal – however the former Doncaster frontman drove his shot into the side-netting from close range and Forest had to settle for a point.

Forest now move up to 16th in the Championship table and are five points adrift of the Play-off positions. They play Peterborough next away at London Road on Saturday 6th October. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Halford, Ayala, Collins(c), Harding, Gillett, Cohen, McGugan (Jenas, 72), Reid, (Coppinger, 86), Lansbury (Majewski, 63), Sharp.

Blackburn: Robinson, Orr, Olsson, Givet, Lowe, Formica, Murphy(c), Dann, Gomes (Kazim-Richards, 64), Hanley, Rhodes (Dunn, 86).

Man of the match (Forest): Chris Cohen.

Referee: Mick Russell.

Attendance: 18,748.