Nottingham Forest 1-4 Millwall

Nottingham Forest were defeated for the first time since late September on Saturday as Millwall earned all three points with a convincing second-half show at the City Ground.

In a closely contested first period Lions’ midfielder Liam Trotter opened the scoring with just three minutes on the clock with a guided solo strike.

However, the home side were soon back in the game when on loan Southampton striker Billy Sharp slotted home a neat equaliser to level the scores going into the break.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But in a dramatic second period Kenny Jackett’s side regained the lead after Darius Henderson headed in before goals from Chris Wood and substitute Andy Keogh sealed the victory.

Millwall were unbeaten in six games on arriving at the City Ground and looked confident from the first whistle.

The Lions went ahead within minutes when Trotter was allowed to run past Simon Gillett unchallenged into the box before curling a shot into the top-right corner of the goal past Forest goalkeeper Lee Camp.

Radi Majewski was back in the centre of midfielder for Sean O’Driscoll’s men and the Polish international looked to get his side straight back in the game but his long-range effort thumped into the side netting.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Both sides continued to look tightly matched but it was the hosts that grabbed the equaliser – Reds’ frontman Simon Cox played a neat one-two with Sharp and the former Doncaster man did the rest with a cool finish past Millwall shot-stopper David Forde.

And on the stroke of half time the home side had appeals for a penalty waved away when Sharp went down under a challenge from Forde.

After the teams emerged from the tunnel for the second period the game sprung into life once again – on loan West Brom striker Chris Wood heading over for Millwall as the Reds struggled to handle the pace of the game.

Soon after the away side restored their lead when a long free-kick was floated into the box by former Forest loanee James Henry where it was met by the lofty figure of Henderson to head well past Camp.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Reds struggled to deal with the tall presence from the London club all over the field and gambled by bringing on another striker - Dexter Blackstock coming on in place of midfielder Andy Reid.

However, the decision was soon punished by Millwall who hit the Reds on the counter-attack. Henry made ground after finding space down the middle before teeing up Wood whose shot took a wicked deflection off Danny Collins before settling in the goal.

And five minutes from time a disappointing evening for the Reds got worse as Millwall put the seal on the match - Chris Taylor crossed from the left for Republic of Ireland international Andy Keogh to tap home from close-range as his side earned their first away victory since August.

Following the defeat, Forest now drop to 8th position in the Championship table. They are just two points adrift of their fellow play-off rivals. The Reds will look to bounce back in their next game at the City Ground as they face Middlesbrough on Tuesday 6th November. Kick-off is at 7:45pm.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Moloney, Collins (c), Ward, Harding, Gillett (McGugan, 77), Cohen, Majewski (Guedioura, 15), Reid (Blackstock, 70), Sharp, Cox

Millwall: Forde, Shittu (c), Trotter, Henderson (Keogh, 81), Lowry, Henry, Beevers, Taylor, Abdou, Wood, Smith

Man of the match: Chris Cohen (Forest)

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Attendance: 24,160 (Away: 707)