Nottingham Forest 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday

editorial image

Sheffield Wednesday defender Miguel Llera was left ruing his luck on Saturday afternoon as his unfortunate own goal condemned his side to defeat at Nottingham Forest.

The two sides fought out a fiery encounter but both were left frustrated following a first period void of any real moments of magic.

And in the second half a host of chances were thrown away at both ends of the pitch before Llera unwittingly headed past his own goalkeeper to gift the Reds all three points 15 minutes from time.

The game began with a tense atmosphere as both sides looked to make their early mark on the match – Reds’ goalkeeper Lee Camp was called upon early on as Wednesday striker Gary Madine tested him from range.

Owls winger Michail Antonio looked sharp in the opening stages of the game and was on hand to provide Jay Bothroyd with a good ball into the Forest penalty area – however, the striker was thwarted by a sprawling Camp.

The Reds first chance proved to be the best of the game so far – veteran winger Andy Reid found himself in on goal after some good work down the left by Billy Sharp - but Reid was denied by a block from the rushing Chris Kirkland in the Wednesday goal.

Former Carlisle frontman Madine should have done better for the Owls midway through the first period when he headed wide following Antonio’s long throw into the area.

Reds’ midfielder Chris Cohen looked strong in the middle of the park and set up a good chance for the home side after his ball into the box from the right found Jermaine Jenas. However the loanee Tottenham Hotspur man could only head the ball wide of the target.

As the second half began Henri Lansbury came into the action for the hosts in place of an injured Reid. The former Arsenal man got involved immediately as he tested Kirkland from long range but the shot-stopper was alert and gathered well.

Last weekend the Reds faced two goal-line clearances to earn a point at Leicester and Danny Collins found himself in a similar position on Saturday, denying Bothroyd after Jamaican winger Jermaine Johnson had forced Camp to spill his effort.

At the other end of the pitch Lansbury came within inches of breaking the deadlock when he played a neat one-two with Dexter Blackstock to surge into the six-yard box before firing over the bar.

Then with only 15 minutes left on the clock the game took a lucky turn in the Reds’ favour as Cohen surged down the right to loft in a cross that was met by Llera and turned into his own net with an attempted headed clearance.

The Reds now sit in 9th position in the Championship table and are just two points away from the play-off positions. Sean O’Driscoll’s side will be on the road again next weekend as they take on Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux on Saturday 24th November. Kick-off is at 3pm.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Halford, Collins (c), Moloney, Ward, Gillett, Reid (Lansbury, 50), Cohen, Jenas (Guedioura, 55), Sharp, Blackstock.

Sheffield Wednesday: Kirkland, Buxton, Jones (Mayor, 82), Llera, Gardner (c), Barkley, Semedo, Madine, Antonio, Bothroyd, Pecnik (Johnson, 52).

Man of the match: Danny Collins

Referee: Andy Woolmer

Attendance: 24,584 (Away: 4,405)