Wrens end Goole run with Doodson Cup win

RAINWORTH MW ended their poor recent record against Goole with a comfortable 4-0 Doodson Sports Cup at the Pleasure grounds last night.

The Wrens’ record against Goole in the two seasons they had met in the league; showed no victories.

As Goole have since moved to the Northern section; that looked like how it would remain.

That was until last night’s meeting in the Doodson Cup gave them another chance to improve on

that record.

The first few minutes of the match were end to end with neither side able to have an effective shot on goal.

This was until the fourth minute when Ashley Kitchen headed home Ryan Goward’s corner.

For most of the remainder of the half Rainworth dominated with only spasmodic Goole attacks.

Further goals seemed inevitable and Rainworth added to their lead in the 17th minute.

The goal came from Kieran Walker’s long throw; headed on by Lee Cooksey; and hit into the net by Goward.

The only other incident of note was Connor Higginson’s 20th minute yellow card, although most of the crowd were as bemused as he was. The half ended with Rainworth comfortably leading 2-0.

Rainworth started the second half sluggishly and Goole started to come more into the game.

In the 55th minute Goole were awarded a free kick and Dean Sidebottom ‘s effort was tipped onto the bar and out for a corner by Ale Barcherini. The subsequent corner was only just cleared at the cost of another corner.

At last Rainworth came to life and in the 58th minute; from a Walker long throw they had a couple of goal bound shots blocked in quick succession.

Rainworth were now getting the upper hand and only a fine save by the keeper’s legs in the 60th minute prevented Goward increasing the lead.

Any chance Goole had of getting back into the game disappeared in the 66th minute when Lee Appleby their keeper was sent-off for kicking an opponent.

In all honesty from the stands it had looked nothing more than the usual coming together of bodies at a corner and the sending off and resultant penalty seemed harsh.

Higginson stepped up and duly sent Sidebottom, who had taken the keeper’s shirt, the wrong way for his first goal in Rainworth colours.

It didn’t take Rainworth long to extend their lead further when a fine one-two between Jared Holmes and Higginson resulted in Higginson clipping the ball into the corner of the net.

As the game drew to a close, Callum Lloyd received his customary yellow card in the 76th minute.

The reason once again was unclear in a game that had been played hard but fair.

The game ended with Rainworth deservedly winning 4-0; and the fans hoping for a ‘plum’ third round tie.

RAINWORTH: Barcherini; Walker; Hanson; Camm (Burton 75); Kitchen; Cooksey; Lloyd; Bacon (Chisango 72); Higginson; J. Holmes; Goward.

GOOLE: Appleby; Robson; Hunter; Sidebottom; Hay; Connor; Walker (Ovington 68); Claisse; Hayward (Russell 68); Baggaley (Swift 68); Fella. Subs not used: Booker; Law.

REFEREE: I. Johnson of Leeds.