Whitehead hat-trick sees Glapwell home


Nathan Whitehead hit a second half hat-trick as Glapwell saw off bottom of the table Sherwood Colliery with a 3-1 victory at Hall Corner in the Central Midlands League Black Dragon Badges North Division.

Whitehead went close in the opening minutes, but he headed over from Jordan Jones’ corner with Jones then unable to fully connect on Adam Barratt’s through ball.

The visitors’ best chance of the first period fell to Jim Whitmore, but he could only fire straight at Ryan Hopkins from the edge of the area.

Tom Robley then created a chance for himself when he made a run from his own penalty area, playing a good one-two with Whitehead on the edge of the visitors’ area, but he lashed an effort just past the near post.

It took only five minutes of the second period for Glapwell to make the breakthrough, though, as Whitehead connected with Jason Foster’s free kick.

But the visitors levelled soon after when Harry Joule capitalised on hesitation at the back to round Ryan Hopkins and slot the ball into the empty net.

Soon after, Sherwood were unlucky not to go in front when Joule’s effort looped up off a defender and had to be tipped on to the bar by Hopkins.

But Glapwell raised it a little and with 15 minutes remaining went back in front when Whitehead created space for himself on the edge of the area before finishing under the body of the keeper.

Then less than a minute later the points were wrapped up as Whitehead completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Jonathan Heston had been brought down in the area.

Glapwell had further chances to extend their advantage before the end but Whitehead somehow saw his shot stay out and Neil Grayson was denied by the keeper.

Result of the day in the division came at Clay Cross where the home side demolished Westella VIP’s 100 per cent record with a convincing 5-0 win.

Not for the first time this season player-manager Ant Lynam led from the front, scoring a hat-trick to bring his total for the season to 15 with Andy Thornton and Ritchie Mathews weighing in with one apiece.

August’s Team of the Month Bilsthorpe made it seven wins from eight, but again they had little to spare with Mark Carter’s goal the difference between themselves and Kinsley Boys.

Easington United must have thought they were heading for their second win of the season as they led Dinnington Town with a 33rd minute goal from Phil Jackman.

Their hopes were dashed just four minutes from time as Jack Mason rescued a point for the home side.

Derbyshire teams hold three of the top four places in the Black Dragon Badges South Division after Saturday’s matches.

Mickleover Royals had little difficulty in extending their winning run to seven games as they scored five without reply at Harrowby Saints.

A lacklustre first half saw the Royals break the deadlock in added time, before they stepped up a gear to add two more in the first eight minutes of the second half, and another two in the dying minutes.

On target for the Royals were Owen Brown, Nathan Wilson, Danny Hanson, Steven O’Connell and Ryan Thompson.

Belper United also scored five, this time at Eastwood Community.

Again the winning side only had a one goal lead at the break, Jordan Ball the scorer, but Adam Moss, Sam Vickers and two more from Ball made Paul McFarland’s first game in charge at Eastwood a less than memorable occasion, his side ending with nine men.

Linby Colliery sit in third place after a 1-1 home draw with Pinxton which attracted 85 to Church Lane.

Jake Vernon gave the visitors a half-time lead which was equalised by a Damian Mann header. Swanwick are also in the top four after their 2-0 win over Hucknall Town, the goals coming from David Robinson and Guy Wilding.

The old cliché ‘a game of two halves’ certainly applied at Bishops Drive, where after a goalless first 45 minutes, the second half produced eight, Clifton All Whites coming away with a 5-3 win over Southwell City.

Clifton went three up but Southwell pulled two back , the visitors only ensuring victory in the 89th minute when Scott Litchfield scored the fourth of his goals.

All Whites’ other scorer was Sam Leggett, with Southwell, another team to have two players dismissed, replying through Sheldon Tuitt (2) and Liam Webster.

A goal in the 49th minute from Conor Carter was all that was needed to give Bulwell maximum points at Mickleover RBL.

The League Challenge Cup kicked off with three First Round ties.

It was a close run thing at Elkesley Road, Lee Easom’s hat-trick proving decisive as Ollerton Town won by the odd goal in nine against Welbeck Welfare.

Also on target for the visitors were Liam Black and Alex Sennett, while Lloyd Kemp, Ben Simpson, Ashley Farquharson and Kyle Pope got one each for Welbeck.

Tyrell Shannon-Lewis was among the goals again, scoring three for Real United as they reached round two after a 5-2 defeat of Blidworth Welfare.

Jerome O’Connor grabbed the other two, while Liam Theakstone and Pete Stubley netted for Blidworth.

Phoenix were architects of their own downfall on their trip to Hucknall Rolls Leisure.

Rolls progressed after a 3-0 win, two of their goals being scored by the visitors, Jack Allen adding the third.

In the Reserve Supreme Division, Graham Street Prims conceded 12 for the second time this season, going down 12-1 at Dronfield Town.

Ade Ashton scored no less than six, Jack Lambert got a hat-trick, Ash Rycroft added two, an own goal completing the round dozen. Matlock Town’s Oliver Walden was another hat-trick hero as they won 5-0 at Dunkirk, Dave Edge and Declan Jenkins the other scorers.

Pat Connelly’s double inspired Borrowash Victoria to a 3-1 defeat of Holbrook Sports. Jake Thompson was Vics’ other scorer, Dom Hayes getting one back for Holbrook.

Holbrook St Michaels edged out Thoresby Colliery 5-4 in the Reserve Premier Division.

Idris Kabongo struck three times for the home side, Paul White and Mike Smith adding the others, while Thoresby’s goals came from Ross Haggerty, James Prudence, James Scothern and Dale Gilliatt.

Mickleover RBL had a field day at Watnall Road, overrunning Hucknall Town 7-1.

A hat-trick here for Ben Rofley, Jorge Eley (2), Chris Townley and Michael Robinson completing the scoring for the Legion.

Montell Gatland got a consolation for Hucknall. Swanwick won 5-0 at Sherwood Colliery with Mark Waghorn (2), Adam Coleman, Sam Cox and Daniel Ball all finding the net.

The points were shared at Scrooby Road, Tom Walker’s goal for Harworth being equalised by Belper United’s Matthew Wright.