Week of misery as Teversal bosses resign and side crashes to bottom club

Teversal Football Club have endured a miserable week and are looking for a new boss after the resignation of their joint management team of Jamie Hudson and Jeff Bostock.

Hudson stepped down on Wednesday with immediate effect, wishing to take a break from the game, while Bostock agreed to continue in his role until a replacement can be found.

A Teversal spokesman said: “The club would like to formally put on record what a tremendous job Jamie and, for the last year, Jeff, has done, taking the club to their highest league position in the National League system last season, and we would like to put on record our gratitude for their efforts.”

Candidates should register their interest as soon as possible by telephone, text or email to chairman Peter Cockerill on 07870 556918, Peter.Cockerill@Teversalfc.co.uk or secretary Kevin Newton on 07711 358060, Kevin.Newton@Teversalfc.co.uk.

The club are not setting deadlines for this post, but hope to have the right candidate in situ sooner rather than later.

The disappointing 1-1 draw at Hallam on Tuesday night followed by the resignations on Wednesday wasn’t the best preparation for a game against bottom of the table Dinnington Town, who pulled off their first win of the season with a 1-0 success on Saturday.

The atmosphere at the game was flat, and it reflected the occasion with it being a poor advert for the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One in a game that can at best only be described as shocking.

It was clear to see the Tevie side was on a low, but this was no excuse for such a lacklustre performance that allowed Dinnington to dominate the game.

The 1-0 win should have been more, but Ryan Brooks in the Teversal goal was in outstanding form along with his skipper Kris Witcombe.

Brooks was called upon to make an outstanding double save to deny Dinnington legend Liam Cartledge, whose initial effort forced the keeper to save down low to his right and, when Cartledge looked odds-on to fire home the loose ball, Brooks threw himself at the striker’s feet to save with the side of his face.

The visitors even gifted chances to their host when Pursglove tried to play his way out of the 18 yard box, only to get tackled by Matt Smith with the Dinnington midfielder forcing Brooks to go full length to parry the ball to safety.

Teversal did have a few forays forward with the best effort coming midway through the first half when Wood found himself with the time and space to fire an effort that hit the angle of bar and post before going out for a goal kick.

Ivan Yayamalaca was lucky to get away without a card that should have been red when he took exception to a hard tackle from Parkes and reacted by grabbing the midfielder’s face, which was the final action of note in a poor first 45 minutes.

The second half continued to be a dire affair and was settled on 58 minutes when a cross to the far post found Cartledge to produce a looping header that left Brooks stranded as the ball dropped in at the opposite post to the home side’s delight.

Dinnington again could thank their lucky stars that the referee took a lenient view when Matt Smith shoved his head into the face of Wood in a head-butt motion, that should have seen a straight red card, but the midfielder was surely happy to see the wrong colour held up to see out the remainder of the game.

Teversal’s next game sees a trip they could do without to AFC Emley on Tuesday (7:45pm) in the League Cup First Round tie.

Then on Saturday the Tevie Boys entertain Worsbrough Bridge Athletic in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One.