Teversal stage fightback against Grimsby Borough

Teversal fought back from a goal down to claim all three points and end a run of three goalless defeats with a 2-1 win at Grimsby Borough.

However, the first half took on the same role as the three previous games, in which Teversal applied the pressure but with it coming to nothing, and then conceding just before the break.

The Teversal attacks came thick and fast in the first few minutes with Callum Green going close and Mitch Slawson forcing a finger-tip save from Damien Steer in the Grimsby Borough goal.

A Colin Cockerill free kick was almost met by a flick-on from Green, but in missing with the head it distracted the keeper enough that he had to collect the ball at the second attempt on the goal line.

Grimsby also had their chances and as half time approached, the same old scenario played out again with Teversal conceding. A mistake in midfield by Greg Tobin saw Nathan Emson collect the ball and race toward the Teversal goal, and shooting across the face of the goal, evading the reach of Wilson and finding the far corner of the net to the delight of the home crowd.

After the break, Borough looked to extend their lead, with Danny Freeman going close from a corner.

But Teversal sprang back into life and started to believe in themselves and applied more pressure on the Borough back line.

Both sides had their chances throughout the second period. Wilson was in fine form in the Teversal goal and a last-gasp saving tackle by Mark Robinson kept the score at 1-0 in Borough’s favour.

It was only a matter of time before something gave and it was Teversal that made the breakthrough. On 75 minutes, running on goal, Slawson unleashed a shot that, although the keeper got a touch, had the power to make it over the line to level the scores.

With five minutes left, the Borough keeper Steer was dismissed for the use of an elbow on Green while waiting for a corner to be delivered. After consulting with his assistant, the referee reached for his red card, sending the stopper from the field. With defender Rick Creer taking over the goalkeeping duties, Teversal pushed forward.

The winner finally came on the 90 minute mark. Sub Brad Hanson was caught wrong-footed with the ball at his feet, and Oli Trigg took his chance and slammed home from a few yards out.

Teversal will be looking for another victory when Glasshoughton Welfare visit Carnarvon Street on Saturday (3pm).

l The midweek first team game away at newly-crowned Division One Champions Staveley Miners Welfare which was scheduled for tonight (Wednesday) has been postponed, due to Staveley’s ongoing run in the NCEL League Cup. A re-scheduled date has still to be confirmed.

GRIMSBY BOROUGH: D. Steer, Davey, King, Forrest, Creer, Ireland, Taylor, Freeman, Stephenson, Oswin (M. Steer 57), Emson. Subs not used: Fanthorpe, Newby.

TEVERSAL: Wilson, Harcourt, Goodacre (Robinson 51), Wild, Henshaw (Hanson 44), Gary Atkins (Trigg 10), Cockerill, Slawson, Tobin, Green, Pearson. Subs not used: Hudson, Smith.

REFEREE: Thomas Bramall of South Yorkshire.