Teversal shine to hold promotion hopefuls Glasshoughton Welfare to 1-1 draw

GLASSHOUGHTON Welfare arrived at Carnarvon Street expecting to pick up the points and maintain their promotion push, but did not reckon on a determined performance by Teversal.

The visitors started brightly, playing the ball around with confidence, but what they may not have catered for was that the Tevie Boys would match their confidence and ability and were not fazed by the challenge of working hard to achieve their own aims.

It made for an entertaining game even though goal scoring opportunities were at a premium.

It actually took to the midpoint of the first period for the first effort of note when Tobin held the ball up well before spreading the ball out to Dickinson.

He then delivered an excellent cross to the far post that Danny Wilson attacked, but he failed to control his effort and fired over the bar when being placed under pressure by Glasshoughton goalkeeper Saynor and his defensive partner Hitchins.

Teversal threatened again when Gary Atkins delivered a defence-splitting ball to Dickinson, who delayed his effort and allowed Smith to get a partial block that was enough to see the effort go wide of the mark.

Glasshoughton wasn’t to be out done, along with a couple of efforts that didn’t threaten the home goal, they produced an excellent break that had the home side stretched.

So when Seed and Catton moved the ball quickly to release Radford the visitor’s marksman was denied by an impressive block by Harcourt, who had made an excellent effort to get back and cover his team mates.

On 57 minutes Teversal’s efforts were rewarded when another excellent ball from Gary Atkins released Ryan Atkins, who showed composure before perfectly timing his pass to Dickinson, who somehow managed to scoop the ball home over the desperate efforts of Saynor to make it 1-0.

The home side looked to secure their lead and maintained an attacking approach, but like any side in a promotion chase, Glasshoughton started to push more players forward and raise the tempo.

The visitors were now having the better of the game and received their reward when Seed lofted a pass over the home defence, with Wilson rushing off his line to try and beat Radford who timed his run perfectly to head home over the advancing keeper to make it 1-1 on 74 minutes.

Andy Seed nearly produced the perfect end for Glasshoughton when, with eight minutes remaining, the home side failed to clear their line allowing the Glasshoughton skipper to fire a fierce strike from 20 yards that hit the bar.

With neither side creating any further clear cut opportunities, the 1-1 scoreline would have frustrated both camps, who could have claimed that they had done enough to collect all three points.

But they had to settle for a point that still could turn out invaluable to both sides in achieving their goals.

TEVERSAL: Wilson, Harcourt, Goodacre, Swales, Henshaw, G. Atkins (Pearson 74 mins), Cockerill, Dickinson, Tobin, Collins (Fletcher 68 mins), Wilson (R. Atkins 45). Subs not used: Mitchell, Pilmore.

GLASSHOUGHTON WELFARE: Saynor, Lloyd, Smith, Seed, P. Nodder, Hitchins, Bentey (Moore 60 mins), Sykes, Fothergill (Marsh 86 mins), Radford, Catton (Blair 79 mins). Subs not used - J. Nodder, Bradshaw.

REFEREE: Glyn Kissane of Derbyshire.