Teversal’s lead at the top cut to a single point

editorial image

The gap at the top of the East Midlands Counties League between Teversal and the chasing pack was reduced to a single point, as hosts Belper United held the current league leaders to a 1-1 draw at the Anderson Electrical Arena in Spondon.

Belper’s Thomas Curtis had the first effort of note, on five minutes, as he let fly with a cracker from the corner of the penalty area and across the face of the goal, with the shot beating Josh Turton in the Teversal goal and striking the foot of the post and out to safety.

On 13 minutes Danny Fletcher came close for the visitors when a through ball left him in a race with Louis Anthony, who just managed to get a toe to the ball sending it out for a corner. From the resulting kick, Kurt Bamford sent the ball into the six yard box where top scorer Dave Cockerill added another to his collection with a sublime header. Belper worked their way back into the game and had the chance to level the scores when Michael Dunne was brought down in the area. Dunne dusted himself down and took the kick, but Josh Turton dived to his right to save the spot kick - his second penalty save in successive games.

Josh Turton was called on again on 41 minutes, this time collecting a fierce strike from Timothy Adcock. A minute later Belper finally found the breakthrough, a corner wasn’t cleared and a scramble at the back post ended when Timothy Adcock stabbed the ball home to give the home side parity at the break.

As the first half wore on, the floodlights were fired up, but as the second half began with the sun now below the horizon it was noticeably darker around parts of the ground. One side was bathed in light but parts of the pitch was almost in total darkness as a number of bulbs didn’t appear to be working. Six of the 20 bulbs on the eight pylons were out.

But the game went on as the officials managed the situation.

Belper made the better start in the second period forcing saves out of Josh Turton and sending a couple of shots just wide of the mark.

On the hour mark Luke Bacon sent a cross field ball to Dave Cockerill, he squared it to Danny Fletcher who was unlucky to see his strike cleared off the line. Substitute Josh Radford had a late chance, set up by Dave Cockerill, but the Belper keeper got down well to save his side a point.

As the game wore on in the gloomy conditions both sides were still going for the win but when the whistle finally went neither team could be unhappy with a point from the game. Both goalkeepers put in sterling performances in the gloomy conditions, quite literally saving numerous shots in the dark.