Teversal rue dropped points at high-flying Bottesford

Teversal travelled to Scunthorpe to face third-placed Bottesford Town, who are in the thick of the NCEL Division One promotion-chasing pack, and before the game may have been happy with a point.

However, although the visitors came away from Birch Park with their point after an entertaining 2-2 draw, the visitors felt it was harsh on them, having been the better side for large parts of the game.

The game got off to a bright start with both captains having opportunities in the opening five minutes.

First was Chris McDonald for the home side when Bridges laid the ball into his skipper’s path to fire an effort marginally wide from 20 yards.

For Teversal Dave Cockerill also guided an effort goalwards that had Herrick scurrying across his goal as the effort also went marginally wide.

Teversal settled into the game, their neat passing stretching their hosts, and a great opportunity was carved out with Starbuck and Williams combining before picking out Tobin, whose perfectly weighted pass invited Gregory to fire a 10th minute fierce strike that again beat Herrick but clipped the top of the bar.

A minute later, though, the visitors gained their reward when Williams found some space. Pearson hit a crossfield pass that needed a little bit of good fortune to reach Williams with Morfitt slicing his attempted clearance.

The Tevie wide man made him pay the ultimate price with a 30-yard wonder strike that flew into the top corner, despite a great effort from Herrick.

Bottesford showed some character and what they were about by creating a couple of half opportunities of their own.

But, like Teversal’s opener, they had a bit of a good fortune when they pulled the scores back level on 22 minutes.

Thompson cut in from the left and, as he changed direction, collided with Pearson, who was tracking the wide man, who was awarded a dubious free kick.

Barwick stepped up to fire a 25-yard effort that bounced just in front of Brooks, who parried the effort onto the inside of the post and into the net.

It was the hosts who then had a period of dominance with them nearly taking the lead when Pembleton drove a superbly delivered free kick from out on the left flank, that saw Spall produced a powerful header that rattled the Teversal bar before the ball was scrambled to safety.

At half-time Teversal made an enforced and tactical change with Pearson and Schofield being replaced by Harcourt and Cox with the impact seeing the Tevie Boys regaining the initiative.

The home defence was holding firm until the 57th minute when Dave Cockerill whipped a free kick into the 18-yard box where La Rocca was deceived by the pace of the ball with it bouncing up to hit his outstretched arm, the referee needing the assistance of his assistant to award the stonewall penalty.

The spot kick was powerfully fired home by Dave Cockerill with Herrick looking pleased to get out of the way of the cannonball effort on 60 minute to make it a deserved 2-1 lead for the visitors.

This time after the goal the Tevie Boys maintained their dominance, but failed to turn it into goals.

Dave Cockerill had a great opportunity when Tobin released his skipper, who held off two defenders to create his own time and space to slide the ball past the advancing Herrick but also wide of the post.

Burrell came off the bench to create an opening with his first touch that released Robinson, and Herrick again was quick off his line, this time making an excellent block to deny the Tevie man.

The disputed equaliser came Bottesford way on 83 minutes when Gibbons’ cross found Bridges to nod back across goal from the corner of the six yard box, where Anderson was allowed to head home from two yards with the Teversal players calling for offside.

But the assistant referee’s flag stayed down and the scores were level.

Teversal continued to look the most likely to snatch a winner, and in the dying minutes a Dave Cockerill corner caused mayhem in the Bottesford area.

Burrell seized on the loose ball to fire a low strike that looked destined for the bottom corner before a Bottesford defender stuck a leg out to block the effort to preserve his side a point and leave the visitors frustrated at dropping two points.

Teversal’s next game is on Saturday when they entertain Pontefract Collieries in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One with a 3pm kick off.

BOTTESFORD TOWN: Lee Herrick Lee Morfitt, Nathan Smith, Carl Le Rocca (Luke Anderson 72), Terry Barwick, Chris McDonald, Tommy Spall, Martin Pembleton, Craig Bridge, Jake Quickenden (Danny Gibbons 67), Mike Thompson. Subs not used: Luke Robinson, Christian Quibell, Dominic Stones.

TEVERSAL: Ryan Brooks, Danny Pearson (Brad Cox 45), Ricky Starbuck, Jordan Schofield (Will Harcourt 45), Luke Pickering, Sean Gregory, Mark Robinson, Greg Tobin, Oli Wood (Triston Burrell 72), David Cockerill, Danny Williams. Subs not used: Danny Barke.

REFEREE: Malcolm Graham of South Yorkshire.