Teversal return to winning ways after beating Askern Villa 2-1

editorial image

Teversal went into this game on the back of two very disappointing defeats and needed to use this game to try and achieve a highest ever finish in the National League System to match their highest point’s total that they beat last month.

The first half was, like the true British Bank Holiday weather, a damp miserable affair with neither side showing anything worth shouting about.

It took until the 24th minute before an effort of note was made. Gary Atkins picked up the ball in midfield and attacked the Askern defence before unleashing a fierce strike that Barratt was happy to parry and then Gibbons to clear from the visitor’s 18 yard box.

Askern then created a great opportunity when Holmes created the room to deliver an excellent cross that invited his team mates to tap home. But Hall, who was nearest to connected, was marginally to slow to get there and benefit from the wide man’s trickery.

Again it was the visitors who looked threatening when a Collier corner was only cleared to the edge of the 18 yard box where Rafferty fired in a low effort that Jono Wilson got down well to his right to hold onto the effort as the Askern players looked to seize on any spillage.

Teversal then threatened when a Cockerill corner was cleared out to Dickinson who delivered an inch perfect cross-field ball into the path of Swales, who took the ball superbly in his stride but drilled his effort into the side netting.

During the half time break Jamie Hudson and his management team proved their worth, with a couple of tactical changes and a few choice words resulting in a much improved Teversal in the second period.

They showed some of the football that has been missing the last couple of games and a patient build saw Atkins pick out Dickinson who looked to have wasted an opportunity, but created a better opening by getting to the by-line before pulling back to the onrushing Ashley who fired home on 53 minutes from eight yards out despite the efforts of Barratt and Gibbons to deny the midfielder.

Eight minutes later it was 2-0 to the Tevie Boys when Danny Wilson, Cockerill, Dickinson and then Atkins playing their part in another patient build up with the latter then finding the timely run of Ashley who turned and clinically volleyed into the bottom left hand corner of Barratt’s net with the Keeper having no chance.

The constant rain that had been falling all afternoon was now starting to come heavier and with 10 minutes remaining it became torrential, with the longer the game went on the ball was starting to slow down due to the volume of water on the Carnarvon Street pitch. To be fair it played a part in the Askern goal in the 84th minute, the home side failed to clear their lines and the ball ran to a halt allowing Gary Mundy to have a strike on goal that was deflected to loop over the stranded Wilson to make it a tentative finish to the game for the host.

If there had been any longer to play the game would have been in serious doubt and would have possible been abandoned, but credit to the Referee David Godwin for allowing the game to finish and both sides for making the second half an entertaining encounter despite the conditions with Teversal happy to claim a rare double over Askern when the final whistle was blown.

Saturday sees the penultimate home game of the season for Teversal when Bottesford Town are the visitors to Carnarvon Street for a 3pm.

TEVERSAL: Jono Wilson, Will Harcourt, Kye Pilmore (Luke Fisher 67), Danny Swales, Danny Pearson, Gary Atkins (Michael Hainsworth 71), Colin Cockerill, Sean Dickinson, Greg Tobin (Rob Orton 77), Jacob Ashley, Danny Wilson. Subs Not Used – Jamie Hudson, Kev Smith.

ASKERN VILLA: Chris Barratt, Luke Atkinson, Danny Taylor, Josh Gibbons, Glenn Rafferty, Jamie Sherlock, Jordan Irwin (Liam Copley 67), Gary Mundy, Gary Collier, Nathan Hall, Matty Holmes. Subs Not Used – All Used.

REFEREE: David Godwin (Derbyshire).


MAN OF MATCH; Teversal: Jay Ashley. Askern Villa: Matty Holmes.