Teversal open NCEL campaign with win over Appleby Frodingham

Teversal v Appleby Froddingham
Teversal v Appleby Froddingham
Share this article

TWO late goals by Eli Mitchell and Danny Claridge helped guide Teversal to an opening day victory over Appleby Frodingham in the NCEL.

Both sides came into this game on the back of a good pre-season, with the early exchanges taking on the pattern of the meaningless games that have to be used in preparation of the true cutthroat nature that only competitive football brings.

Credit to Appleby who initially took the game to the host, playing good open football which saw them have the first opportunity after only two minutes when Claridge was adjudged to have fouled McDonald when out jumping the striker. McDonald took responsibility of the free kick that saw the effort from 20 yards hit the well-constructed Teversal defensive wall.

Having failed to turn their positive start into any other goal scoring opportunities, Appleby then saw the host start to have more possession of their own, but was still not reaching the level performance that had been shown in recent weeks. In fact it was from the Tevie Boys first meaningful attack that the lead was gained.

Shaun Tuton combined well with Danny Wilson and Dave Cockerill with the young striker finding himself with the time and space to fire a 25 yard effort that Steve Barker did well to save low at the base of his right hand post.

The resulting corner by Colin Cockerill picked out the well timed run of Ferguson who rose above all to powerfully head home from six yards to give the home side a 9th minute lead.

The goal rocked the visitors from Scunthorpe, and only three minutes later a tidy build up saw Danny Wilson and Dickinson work the ball from left to right to find Harcourt advancing from the right back slot, a further exchange of passes between Harcourt and Ferguson saw the latter slide an inch perfect ball inviting Tuton to fire across the visitors goal with Barker getting down low to his left to make an excellent save.

On 36 minutes, Teversal nearly gifted a leveller to Appleby, trying to play from the back they got caught out by the ever alert McDonald who forced an error that allowed his skipper Spall the time and space to fire a controlled strike that beat Jono Wilson all ends up but smashed against the bar before landing in the Teversal’s Custodian arms.

Six minutes later though was a different story when Wilson came charging out of his goal to chaperone the ball out for a throw-in, but that man McDonald was having none of it and out muscled and edged the ball away from the Teversal Keeper before calmly from a tight angle crossed the bar into the empty net to gain a deserved equaliser.

Before the break the visitors were aggrieved when they thought that they should have been awarded a penalty when McDonald drilled a ball directly at Colin Cockerill with the ball smashing against the Teversal defenders hand, certainly not hand to ball but Appleby felt it was enough to award spot a kick, but Mr Watts certainly didn’t think so.

The second period certainly saw the tempo of the game raise and the true competitive edge return to the game to announce the season is now open.

The game certainly opened up and initially it was the visitors who looked most likely to add to their goal account, with them creating a number of good opportunities without threatening the home goal.

The cost of not taking advantage of those openings was to haunt then in the last 25 minutes as the balance of play moved in favour of the home side who did take the opportunities that came their way.

Teversal’s second goal came on 73 minutes when Ferguson thread a ball out to the left to find Dave Cockerill who exploded into the visitors 18 yard box along the touchline to fire in a low driven cross that Barker could only parry into the path of Mitchell who calmly fired home despite the desperate attempts of the Appleby defenders to block the goal bound effort.

The Tevie Boys made the game safe with seven minutes remaining when in similar style to the Appleby equaliser their Keeper Barker came rushing out of his 18 yard box only to see Dave Cockerill nip in to stroke the ball past the stranded Keeper for Tuton to fire goal wards only for effort to be blocked, with Danny Claridge topping a fine competitive debut off by timing his run into the box perfectly to fire home to make it 3-1.

Teversal could and possible should have increased their lead in the dying minutes, with Dickinson wasting the best of the chances when the midfielder fired over the bar when breaking into the Appleby box, but credit must go to Vernon who put the Tevie man under pressure.

Appleby will be happy with this promising performance, whilst the Tevie Boys will view this as a good win, even though they know they have so much more to offer than they showed in this opening encounter.

Teversal’s next outing is in the Baris Northern Counties East League, League Cup First Round when they entertain Rossington Main on Tuesday, with a 7:45pm kick off.

Then on Saturday they have a massive game in their return to the FA Cup with Budweiser Extra Preliminary round when Loughborough University of the Midland Football Alliance visit Carnarvon Street for a 3pm kick off.

TEVERSAL: Jono Wilson, Wil Harcourt, Danny Claridge, Jamie Goodacre, Colin Cockerill, Ben Ferguson (Oli Wood 84), Reece Blake (Eli Mitchell 62), Sean Dickinson, Dave Cockerill, Shaun Tuton, Danny Wilson (Gary Atkins 82). Subs Not Used –, Danny Pearson, Danny Herring.

APPLEBY FRODINGHAM: Steve Barker, Simon Welton, Ben Shipman (Nathan Millington 77), Samuel Longman, Samuel Baker, James Vernon, Paul Reilly, Thomas Spall, Scott McKay, Christopher McDonald, Paul Tait (Samuel Smith 77). Subs Not Used – Daniel Barrowcliffe, Darren Fogg.

REFEREE: Martin Watts, Derbyshire.


SCORERS: Teversal - Ben Ferguson (9min), Eli Mitchell (73min), Danny Claridge (83min). Appleby Frodingham: Christopher McDonalld (42min).