Teversal made to wait for record

Share this article

Teversal travelled to Worksop Parramore hoping to make a new club record by beating the previous points tally of 42 at this level in the National League System.

But this 2-0 loss was rough justice on the Tevie Boys, who dominated large parts of the game and will now have to wait for another day to beat their record.

Teversal thought they had taken the lead after only two minutes when Cockerill’s corner was flicked on by Pilmore, but Staniforth cleared the effort, with the Tevie boys stating it had gone in.

But the referee and his assistant were unmoved and the score remained 0-0.

Not being knocked back from this early disappointment, the visitors continued to dominate the early exchanges with the home defence standing up to the stern test bestowed on them.

On 19 minutes the visitors had the ball in the net again and once more the officials came to Parramore’s rescue by cancelling the effort out for offside.

It was a shame because the passing move had included Dickinson, Cockerill, Mitchell and Atkins who drilled in the low ball for Pilmore to direct the ball past the stranded Hernandez.

It took another defensive block by Wall to bring a promising move by Tevie to a halt when Atkins unleashed an effort that looked goal-bound, but for the timely intervention of the Parramore centre-half.

Teversal went temporarily down to 10 men when Henshaw had to go off to be treated for a bloody nose, but Brooks and his defence coped.

Against the balance of play, Teversal had no arguments when Parramore took the lead from a penalty.

It was the first occasion the visitors’ defence was stretched and it led to Thompson having the time and space to attack the visitors’ penalty area, only to be terminated by Goodacre’s rash challenge that left the referee with no option but to point to the penalty spot.

Nolan stepped up to fiercely fire into the bottom corner past Brooks who went the right way, but the debutant keeper had no chance to deny the hosts taking a 1-0 lead after 35 minutes.

Two minutes later Parramore went close again when Holmes held the ball up well before laying the ball into the path of Nolan to deliver a quality far post cross that invited Allott to fire an effort over the bar.

Holmes also had an effort that Brooks was happy to tip over the bar with a routine save.

Again Parramore received the benefit of a generous decision from the match official when Staniforth put a ruthless challenge in that left Mitchell needing treatment, with the defender lucky to get away with only a yellow card.

Parramore got the perfect start to the second period when they doubled their lead after only 12 seconds of the restart when Allott took the visitors’ slack defending to task to make it 2-0.

Teversal tried to get back into the game. But a resolute performance by the home defence kept the visitors at bay and, to be fair, they protected their keeper superbly with Hernandez only tested once in the second period when Atkins’ snapshot at the near post was tipped round the post for a corner.

The hosts looked a threat on the break, but on far too many occasions they made the wrong decisions and either over-played or wildly shot without putting the Teversal goal under any real threat.

But they showed their true pedigree by picking up a win while not being at their best.

For Teversal it was another occasion when they played well enough to get something out of the game but didn’t get the rewards their efforts deserved.

Teversal will be hoping to put in a similar performance on Saturday when they are again on their travels to face Grimsby Borough in the Baris Northern Counties East League, Division One game, leaving Carnarvon Street at midday for a 3pm kick off.

WORKSOP PARRAMORE: Hernandez, Lindley, Staniforth, Lowe, Wall, Fretwell (Dawson 87), Thompson, Hatton (Wright 63), Holmes, Allott (Morris 80), Nolan. Subs not used: Lewis, Davis.

TEVERSAL: Brooks, Harcourt, Goodacre (Olly Wood 63), Swales, Henshaw (Pearson 60), Atkins, Cockerill, Dickinson, Tobin (Collins 45), Mitchell. Subs not used: Wilson, Fletcher.

REFEREE: Martin Chester of Derbyshire.