Teversal FC pick up first point of season after Worsbrough Bridge Athletic draw

Teversal v Worsborough
Teversal v Worsborough

TEVERSAL picked up their first point of the season and moved up the table four places to fire them off the bottom spot for the first time this season after a 2-2 draw with Worsbrough Bridge Atheltic.

The Tevie Boys will now be hoping the result kick-starts their league campaign.

The Carnarvon Street club started off in the worse possible manner with Worsbrough dominating the opening exchanges, picking up the tempo that saw them impressively beat promotion favourites Worksop Parramore earlier in the season.

So it was no surprise that the visitors accepted the gift of a fifth minute lead when Baranyai was given the time and space to deliver a cross from the right flank that seemed to travel across the six yard box in slow motion, allowing Lee Garside to head home at the far post.

Whilst the Tevie boys were struggling to settle into the game the visitors continued to dominate and in the first 20 minutes, Wilson in the Teversal goal had to be alert and make no fewer than five saves of note.

But Teversal showed some character and gradually overturned the balance of play and started to create openings of their own with Cockerill starting to get on the ball and spraying the passes about.

And on 38 minutes their growing dominance was rewarded when the home side levelled.

A neat passing move saw Cockerill cross to the edge of the 18 yard box, where Fletcher’s flicked header was collected by Dickinson who calmly lifted the ball over the advancing goalkeeper to make it 1-1.

Three minutes later the Tevie Boys gained reward for the efforts in turning the game round and took the lead.

Tobin was instrumental by holding up the ball and holding off McFadyen, before releasing an excellent ball that invited Robinson to pass the ball past Naylor in the visitors goal

The second period was a more balanced affair, but it was Teversal who could have put Worsbrough out of the game with the better chances in the opening exchanges.

Cockerill put in a defence-splitting ball that Robinson hit first time to beat Naylor.

But the effort hit the inside of the post and came across goal before evading Cockerill’s burst into the box.

Robinson then became the provider with an excellent cross that found Tobin unmarked, but the striker failed to test Naylor as he headed over the bar.

Worsbrough looked sharp on the break and some resilient defending by the home side kept them at bay with Henshaw and Swales looking solid at the heart of the defence.

However, it took an excellent goal for the visitors to pull level just before the hour mark.

Scully delivered an excellent far post cross to find Hunter, who volleyed home across goal in style,

Jez Mitchell had another excellent chance for the home side, similar to Tobin’s effort earlier in the half, but apart from that both sides huffed and puffed but couldn’t find the winner.

On reflection both sides did enough to take something from the game, with the draw a fair result, but both may feel they should have took all three points in this entertaining encounter.

Teversal’s next outing is in the Baris Northern Counties East League, Division One when they are again at home when they entertain AFC Emley at Carnarvon Street on Saturday, with a 3pm kick off.

TEVERSAL: Wilson, Atkins, Parkes (Robinson 12 mins), Swales, Henshaw, Fletcher, Cockerill, Mitchell, Tobin, Dickinson, Pearson. Subs not used: Wild, Wilson, Trigg, Orton.

WORSBROUGH BRIDGE ATHLETIC: Naylor, Markham (Shirt 82 mins), Moore, Utley, McFadyen, Burkinshaw, Baranyai (Hilton 88 mins), Scully, Podmore, Garside, Roberts (Hunter 49 mins). Subs not used: Whitfield, Oxley.

REFEREE: Adam Smith of Derbyshire.