Teversal complete Grimsby Borough double to secure new record points total

Teversal put in another impressive performance to pick up a 4-0 win and complete a league double against Grimsby Borough.

The visitors, who were beaten by Grimsby in the Wilkinson Sword before progressing to next month’s final, started the brightest playing the ball round on the excellent Bradley Football Development Centre pitch.

Grimsby though did offer a threat through the hardworking Creer and pacey Emson and the two combined on six minutes to create the first goal-scoring opportunity when Creer headed on Baker’s long ball into the path of Emson who was thwarted by an impressive save from Jono Wilson.

Teversal, although dominating found the home defence being resolute, which kept Teversal’s efforts in the first period to a minimum. In fact the best effort of the first period came after only 10 minutes when Cockerill’s corner was directed goalwards by Pilmore only for Petronzio to clear off the line.

Like in the first period, it was the hosts who created the first opening in the second half, Creer again the architect to release Emson, but Wilson was alert and raced of his line to bravely gather at the feet of the striker. Unfortunately the heavy collision between the two left Wilson with a broken nose, and more seriously Emson was later diagnosed with a fractured leg (tibia). Beecham replaced the lively forward and dropped into midfield to make an impressive contribution for Grimsby.

Finally, Teversal were rewarded for their dominance on 55 minutes when Gary Atkins played a throughball that put Pilmore clear to fire an effort that Kamsvag could only parry with Atkins winning the race to block Baker’s attempted clearance and direct it into the net.

Like buses, one goal was then followed by another only five minutes later. Again it was a neat passing move that lead to the goal with Cockerill, Atkins, Danny Wilson and Goodacre all involved in the build before finding Pilmore who held the ball superbly.

He then created his own space to chip a ball to the far post and find Harcourt, who rose like a salmon at the back post to produce a looping heading that beat Kamsvag in the home goal all ends up to make it 2-0.

The goals now saw Teversal totally dominating the game with most of the play being camped in the Grimsby half, so it was no surprise when the lead became 3-0 on 68 minutes. Cockerill spread a quickly taken free-kick out to the left flank to Goodacre, who delivered an inch-perfect cross to the far post that invited Dickinson to produce a first-time strike that would have graced any stadium that fired across Kamsvag and into the bottom corner of the goal.

Grimsby did manage a few forays forward, with their best effort coming on 80 minutes when the impressive Fuller crossed to find Taylor, but with the wide-man having time and space he should have done better than drill his effort wide of the mark without testing the Teversal Custodian.

Teversal should have made it 4-0 three minutes later, when Danny Wilson sent Atkins clear through on goal, but the midfielder lacked conviction to take the opportunity on and wasted the effort.

However, as the game was coming to a close, Collins found Wilson in space who in turn again delivered a decisive pass that released Mitchell who calmly lifted the ball over the advancing goalkeeper to put a true reflection on the game.

This win turned out to be a landmark result for Teversal as it give them a new highest points total at this level of the National League System, one they hope to extend further with a further seven games left and a desire to gain enough points to be allowed entry into next seasons FA Cup.

Plus to add to that, when Sean Dickinson scored the third goal, it was the clubs 350th Baris Northern Counties East League goal in their 6th season at this level.

TEVERSAL: Jono Wilson, Will Harcourt, Jamie Goodacre, Danny Pearson, Ross Henshaw, Matt Fletcher (Eli Mitchell 66), Colin Cockerill, Sean Dickinson (Rob Collins 78), Kye Pilmore (Olly Wood 71), Gary Atkins, Danny Wilson. Subs Not Used – Jamie Hudson, Kev Smith.

REFEREE: Mark Swift of Lincolnshire.