Spot kick double as Kirkby hit back

.Kirkby V Ollerton
.Kirkby V Ollerton
Share this article

KIRKBY TOWN came from behind to beat Ollerton Town 4-1 in the Central Midlands League Supreme Division, but the game was closer than the score suggests.

The turning point came in the closing 10 minutes of the first half when the referee awarded two Kirkby penalties with Ryan Wilkinson sent off for the latter offence.

The two penalties were converted by Nathan Watson and, a man up, Kirkby were able to add two more goals in the second half.

Despite this, Ollerton held their own in the first half and were arguably the best side until the penalty incidents.

Even in the second half, they weren’t under serious pressure and the only real tests for keeper James Fletcher were the two goals.

A bright start from Ollerton finally resulted in a goal. After being equal to Evans’ effort, Spriggs was beaten by his own defender who, under pressure from Chris Shelton, tried to pass the ball back but instead found the back of his own net.

The game started turning towards the end of the first half as Kirkby equalised. The referee awarded a penalty after Craig Jackson was judged to have been fouled and Nathan Watson stepped up and fired the ball to the right hand side of Fletcher.

Another penalty was awarded only minutes after the previous one. Kirkby broke on the right hand side and after the ball was played in the middle, Ryan Wilkinson tangled legs with a Kirkby attacker and the referee decided to show Wilkinson a red card and give Watson the opportunity to beat Fletcher from the spot for the second time which he did, firing just past the keeper diving to his left hand side.

Kirkby’s third goal sealed all three points and was scored by Jackson who picked up the ball in the area and stylishly finished.

The number Kirkby won by was harsh on depleted Ollerton, especially when Sam Holmes wasn’t picked up from a corner and scored from close range to make it four.

Church Warsop Welfare travelled to league leaders Sheffield Parramore and pulled off a shock 3-0 success.

That boosted third-placed Blidworth Welfare’s hopes of catching the top two as they shot down Kimberley Town 3-1.

Sutton Town AFC were on the wrong end of a 5-0 drubbing at Parkhouse while Nettleham and Southwell City both produced 1-0 home wins over Church Warsop S&SC and Westella and Willbery respectively.

The Premier Division clash between leaders South Normanton and bottom side FC 05 Bilsthorpe went to form with the Shiners coming out 6-1 winners, A. Nicholls with a hat-trick.

Welbeck Welfare suffered another pasting, this time 12-0 at home to Bentley Colliery and have now conceded an astonishing 117 goals in 20 games.

Thoresby CW and AFC Hucknall shared two goals and the points.