Snipes help their neighbours Shirebrook Town hit seven

NEIGHBOURS Sutton Town came to the rescue as depleted Shirebrook Town produced a magnificent seven at bottom of the table Appleby Frodingham on Saturday.

Shirebrook went into this game decimated by injuries and unavailability of players.

So Shirebrook were grateful to Snipes manager Dean Short who allowed three players, including himself, to sign on to help their neighbours field a side at Appleby Frodingham.

As well as missing players both manager Micky Taylor and his assistant Doug Etches were also absent.

Into the hot seat came first team coach Graeme Rodger to guide the team through this potential banana skin.

It seemed as if all the pre-match plans would count for nothing as the home side took the lead after just five minutes.

Simon Welton delivering a superb cross which Ben Shipman met perfectly to head past Craig Payne.

But Shirebrook soon settled into their stride and were level two minutes later.

Richard Guest made a great run down the right flank and found Mitch Slawson with his pass.

Slawson laid the ball off to Dean Short whose shot was tipped onto the bar by keeper Steve Barker.

The ball dropped to Jason Edwards 12 yards out and the midfielder rifled the ball into the back of the net.

Shirebrook now poured forward and a combination of saves, deflections and just bad luck kept the score level, Brendan Sweeney, Richard Guest, Mitch Slawson and Julian Topliss all going close.

It wasn’t until the 44th minute that the visitors went in front as a Julian Topliss corner was met by the head of Luke Thomas, who powered the ball past Barker.

It took 10 minutes of play before Shirebrook scored again. Man of the match Topliss delivering the cross which saw Dean Short rise and plant a perfect header into the left hand corner past the outstretched Barker.

The floodgates opened and Topliss raced onto a through ball from the impressive Richard Guest to fire into the roof of the net on the hour mark.

Two minutes later and Mitch Slawson made it five, his 20 yard drive finding the same corner.

Topliss got his second on 66 minutes, cutting inside his marker before beating Barker with a low drive from the edge of the box.

Youngster John Jenkinson headeed over on 76 minutes from a Sweeney cross, and it was Jenkinson that set up Topliss for his hat-trick.

The striker raced clear from Jenkinson’s pass to slip the ball past the advancing Barker to make it seven.

Jenkinson forced Barker down to his right with a low drive on 81 minutes and Slawson shaved the bar on 86 minutes.

So in the end it was a good day’s work for Shirebrook and coach Graeme Rodger, whose professionalism was paramount to the day’s outcome.

Appleby Frodingham: Barker, Reid, Bocock, Broughton, Bailey, Robinson, Welton, Longman, Shipman, Millington, Tait. Girling, Fogg, Shorthose.

Shirebrook Town: Payne, McLane (Drake 65), Jackson, Pride (G. Short 63), Thomas, Edwards, Guest, Sweeney, Slawson, Topliss, D. Short (Jenkinson 73). Sub not used: Rodger.

Referee: Mark Swift.

Shirebrook Man of the Match: Julian Topliss.

l Shirebrook Town keeper Jason White has left the club to sign for Conference North side Gainsborough Trinity.

White, who has impressed all season, has had several offers but stuck with Shirebrook until the latest offer came in.

The chance to play Conference football was too good to miss and with Gainsborough competing to go up they could be in the Conference Premier next season.

A club spokesman said: “ Jason goes with the blessing and support of all at Shirebrook who wish him every success in the future.”

White put in a typical man of the match performance in his last game for the club on Wednesday in the Wilkinson Sword Semi-Final at Louth Town to help guide the club into the final with a 3-2 win.

The final will be played at Parkgate FC’s ground on Tuesday, 1st May, 7.45pm kick-off.