Shock for Shirebrook as manager Funk resigns

NMAC11-0854-2''Shirebrook V Barton Town Old Boys.
NMAC11-0854-2''Shirebrook V Barton Town Old Boys.

Off-the-field events rather overshadowed Shirebrook Town’s game 1-0 defeat against Barton Town Old Boys on Saturday.

The shock resignation of manager Rudy Funk to take up the same position at NCEL Premier Division side Scarborough Athletic rocked everybody associated with the club.

New manager Micky Taylor said: “Everybody at Shirebrook Town would like to thank Rudy for all the work done in his short time here.

“He has pulled the club around and we wish him and his wife Sue every success in the future.

“I was pleased with the performance and the way the lads didn’t let off field events affect them. Myself and assistant Dougie Etches are gutted we haven’t taken something from the game considering the chances we had.

“I hope we and the players especially get the chance to meet and compete with rather than play with Rudy’s new club in the near future”.

Visitors Barton still have their eye on a promotion place, but could easily have seen that disappear in the first five minutes when keeper Dave Bramley handled the ball outside his area to stop Simon Johnson’s run.

Referee Mark Margetts only brandished a yellow card, a leniency which he continued to display throughout.

To be fair Shirebrook should, on scoring chances, have won the game comfortably. But time after time they failed to hit the target.

Bramley did well to turn Stubley’s bouncing effort over the bar as the home side had the better of the opening 15 minutes.

Stubley spurned a gilt-edged chance on 25 minutes when a surging run from Simon Johnson drew the keeper. He slipped his pass to Stubley but with an opening net the striker managed to fire wide from 10 yards.

Matt Fyvie had his snapshot saved by the diving Ed Eley on the half hour mark and at the other end Bramley made a similar save to deny Richard Guest.

The second half saw Barton begin to pressurise the home goal. But although the visitors had a lot of possession the Shirebrook defence stood firm. Barton were throwing everything forward in the search for a goal which left them vunerable at the back.

On 79 minutes Johnson broke clear and drove the ball into the area, but Bramley did well to save at the feet of Stubley.

Johnson broke again this time electing to go on his own, his lofted effort going wide of the near post from 15 yards.

Shirebrook hearts were broken when, in time added on, Gareth Barlow rose in the box to head past Eley from substitute Chris Garth’s cross.

Stubley still had the chance to level the game, released by Guest’s through ball Stubley rounded the keeper, but on a bobbly surface again fired wide of the mark.

Shirebrook Town: Eley, Rowbottom, Robinson, Roche, Winter, Draper (c), McLane, Guest, Johnson (Batham 84), Stubley, Jackson (Rhodes 72) subs not used: Bowring, Bedward, Kent.

Barton Town OB: Bramley (c), Shilito, Gibson, Dexter, Stainforth (Garth 75), Jackson (Gordon 79), Tomlinson, Fyvie, Barlow, Northern, Medcalf (Gordon 20). Subs not used: Atkinson, Marshall.

Referee: Mark Margetts of South Yorkshire.

Attendance: 64.

SHIREBROOK Man of the Match: Ed Eley.