Shirebrook Town kickstart their season with win

editorial image

Shirebrook Town finally kick-started their season with a 5-2 FA Vase win over Oakham United on Saturday.

Shirebrook started the game on the front foot and the first chance came in the third minute when Currie shot was saved by the visiting keeper as he forced it for a corner from that resulting corner Smith put the header over the bar.

Shirebrook kept going and Ord, Currie, Greenfield and Smith all had chances to break the deadlock.

But it looked like the visiting keeper was going to have one of those days where he saved everything.

However, the deadlock was finally broken in the 27th minute when Ord cut inside and passed to Shepherd who found Roebuck to shoot from 25 yards into the bottom corner.

Shirebrook looked to extend their advantage but were denied by the post in the 33rd minute.

Greenfield’s cross found Currie, who set himself up for an overhead kick which smacked the join of post and bar.

In the 38th minute Ord cut inside and beat the keeper but not the post and somehow Shirebrook only had one goal to show for their efforts at the break

However, Shirebrook went on the attack at the start of the second half and it didn’t take long for the next goal to come when Greenfield was fouled on the edge of the box. Ord’s free kick found Currie, who headed in to give the home side a two-goal advantage.

Shirebrook went for more goals and it was the woodwork again that stopped them in the 62nd minute when Roebuck smacked the outside of the post.

But Shirebrook finally got the third goal in the 66th minute when Smith robbed the ball from an Oakham defender and passed it to Ord who finally got the goal his play had deserved.

Oakham pulled one back in the 69th minute when poor defending allowed Leckie to get a goal back for the visitors, but Shirebrook didn’t let it affect them and bagged a fourth in the 80th minute when sub Thomas won the ball down the left and squared it to an unmarked Greenfield, who made no mistake.

Oakham hit back again in the 82nd minute through Rothery but Shirebrook finally put the game to bed in the 83rd minute when Greenfield corner found Smith who made no mistake from four yards out to wrap up the game for Shirebrook and put them into the next round

Shirebrook return to action on Saturday when Yorkshire Amateur visit Langwith Road (3pm).

SHIREBROOK: Siddons, Shaw, Mawbey, Shepherd, Sykes, Hill, Greenfield, Roebuck (Whitehead), Smith, Currie (Thomas), Ord. Subs not used: Owen, Robley.