Shirebrook Town draw 3-3 with Eccleshill United

editorial image

The game started 10 minutes late due to a caravan breakdown on the M62 which left long tailbacks and hindered the away team getting to the ground.

Julian Topliss had an early chance to put the visitors ahead on four minutes. But the striker scuffed his shot after being sent clear by Mitch Slawson.

Andy Fieldhouse hit the post on 11 minutes and Mark Frost somehow got a block on Marcus Edwards follow up to keep the scores level.

After 20 minutes keeper Andy Howland rushed to the edge of his area to save at the feet of Dean Rick. The striker had the chance to put Shirebrook one up five minutes later. Slawson’s cross skipped off the wet surface and Rick was just inches away from connecting.

At the other end Charlie Flaherty headed over with all the goal to choose from.

Mark Frost made a superb save on 35 minutes to deny a Jordan Grose low drive and two minutes later Topliss fired wide from just inside the box as the game continued to ebb and flow.

Frost was again in action on 40 minutes, pushing away a Fieldhouse long range effort.

The second half was just three minutes old when Eccleshill took the lead. A neat move down the right undid Shirebrook and when the ball was pulled back to Adam Bower the midfielder fired a low drive through a crowd of players and past Frost.

Two minutes later it was 2-0, undone again down the flank the cross saw a scramble between Frost and Liam Pride with the defender getting the fateful touch to put the ball over the line.

Most sides would be finished, but Shirebrook have a reputation for never giving in and it was no surprise when on the hour mark they pulled a goal back. Lewis Jackson driving home from outside the box to reduce the arrears.

Eight minutes later the visitors were back on level terms, Julian Toplissgetting on the end of Richard Guest’s low cross to finish from 6 yards.

Shirebrook then took the lead on 75 minutes. Mitch Slawson turned in the box and Howland just managed to get a hand to the shot. Topliss was first to react to the loose ball and bundled it over the line from close range.

The lead lasted just 10 minutes, before Shirebrook were exposed again down the left flank. When the cross came in it was Kyle Ludlow who got the unfortunate touch to bring the scores level.

The final five minutes were a bit nervy for both sides and Edwards saw his drive flash past the far post a minute from time.

Shirebrook entertain Winterton Rangers at Langwith Road in the Semi Final of the League Cup tonight (Wednesday 11th April).

Eccleshill Utd: Howland, McLean, Lawless, Moore, Penn, Springer (c), Flaherty, Bower, Edwards, Grose (Brisbane 80), Fieldhouse. Sub not used: Banks.

Shirebrook Town: Frost, Guest (McLane 77), Briggs, Ludlow, Pride, Thomas, Jackson, Sweeney (c), Slawson, Topliss, Rick. Subs not used: Drake, Jenkinson, Naylor and Rodger.

Referee: Mr Paul Tomes.

Assistants: Mr Paul Bennett & Mr Russ Kettell.

Man of the Match: Julian Topliss.

Attendance: 26.