Rainworth MW upset the odds to defeat Loughborough Dynamo

editorial image

Rainworth started their season in fine fashion after defeating promotion-chasing Loughborough Dynamo 3-2 away.

Rainworth started the match kicking into a swirling wind and they produced the first chance of the game when Jamie Brown’s cross was hit over by Nathan Modest.

The first 25 minutes were played mostly in the middle of the park as both teams vied for dominance.

Rainworth began to settle and enjoyed the best of the chances as they continued to attack the Loughborough goal and Greg Archer’s goal bound shot was blocked.

The breakthrough came after Brown’s mazy run and pass found Kieran Walker and his pinpoint cross was hit into the corner of the net by Buttle.

The second half started where the first half ended with Rainworth on the attack and, in the 50th minute, Brown almost added to the score, when after a mazy run his chip just went wide of the goal.

In the 51st minute a rampant Rainworth added to their score as Buttle once again crossed, Jason Bradley won the knock down and Modest gleefully smashed the ball into the goal.

This was countered by an attack by Loughborough as Kris Nurse created a good chance for himself only to hit it wide of the post.

Football is a game that can penalise teams who don’t convert chances and, from an innocuous corner, Loughborough’s Martin Bowles was allowed the time and space to head home just under the crossbar.

Rainworth are no longer a team that capitalises and yet another Buttle cross found Bradley’s shot saved by Laurie Pearson in the Loughborough goal. Either side and it was a goal.

Bradley didn’t have to wait long for his redemption. Buttle once again found space and he hit a great ball to Brown. His cross was met by Bradley, whogave the goalkeeper no chance with a bullet header.

Jason Bradley has a likeness to John Hartson and his play is not dissimilar, he terrorises defenders with his size and once he gets up to match fitness the goals will surely flow.

It wasn’t all Rainworth and from one such attack Loughborough was awarded a penalty for Brown’s mis-timed tackle.

Rob Norris stepped up and coolly struck it into the top corner giving James Martin in the Rainworth goal no chance.

As the game neared its conclusion Norris hit a curler and only a good save by Martin prevented the equaliser.

It would have been an injustice if Loughborough had got an equaliser as for great periods of the game Rainworth had dominated.

Although only one game has been played, the signs are that Rainworth could well influence the destination of the title this year.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Martin; Walker; Dudley; Archer; Varley; Saunders; Brown; Hanson; Bradley (Clarke 87 mins); Modest; Buttle. Subs: Claxton; French; Magee; Holmes.

LOUGHBOROUGH DYNAMO: Pearson; Thomas; Lester; Sibson; Betts; Gent (Kelly 67); Norris; Bowles; Nurse (Langham 67) Holden; Kirk 9Byrne 61). Subs: Tinsley; Mann-Kler

Referee: Mr A. Fox

Man of the Match: Danny Buttle.